Oil Analysis

/ Oil Analysis #1  

W5FL

Veteran Member
Tractor
TYM T-1104/TX10 Loader Kubota M6800SD/LA1002 Loader Kubota RTV900
The Kubota dealer gave me 2 oil analysis kits to fill and send it. I guess one is for the drained engine oil and the other is for the drained hydraulic fluid. Will this analysis yield whether it is UDT or Super UDT? Will the oil tell whether it is 15W40 or a single weight oil? Any idea how much it cost to continue this service?

/ Oil Analysis #2  
Wen - Usually the labs want you to tell them what kind and weight of oil it is. I don't know if they can tell exactly or not, but they can tell you how much of it is synthetic. Primarily, they just look for contaminants. They want to know viscosity because they can then determine how much it's varied from the baseline. It also depends on the lab, too. I'd just tell them what you know and see what they say. They usually charge between $10 and $15.

Mark

/ Oil Analysis
What is the best procedure for taking samples of oil and samples of hydraulic fluid. I would assume that you would drain at operating temperature and after being in use so any particles will be in suspension and take the sample about 1/2 way through the draining process. Any suggestions appreciated. I have one container (looks like about 4 oz) for the engine oil and one container for the hydraulic fluid.

/ Oil Analysis #4  
Wen - According to all I've heard and read, what you described is the ultimate approach. I have a tap on my bypass filter that I use to fill the sampling bottle. With the engine running, I run an ounce or two out to clear it, then fill the bottle.

Mark

/ Oil Analysis
Well, I took the samples and sent them off to DARR yesterday. The guy at the USPS wanted to know what was in the bottles before he would mail them although they had postage pre paid stamped on them.

The hydraulic fluid was red in the front differential and brown in the front gear axles and rear differential/transmission.

All fluids appeared to be pretty light in visciosity, but it was 95 degrees, too. Is there an easy way to measure visciosity except by comparison with another fluid?

Is UDT characteristically a brown color?

The Super UDT had a light yellow cast (guess that was the flakes of gold floating around in it).

/ Oil Analysis #6  
I don't think there's any easy way to measure viscosity other than by accessing a viscometer. I've seen a formula for calculating viscosity based on measuring the length of time it takes the fluid to move down a slope, but for this you need to accurately measure the slope angle, know the fluid density, measure the thickness of the sliding film, etc. There's also a viscosity unit of measure call an SSU (Saybolt Second Universal) that came about by measuring the time it takes for a fixed volume of fluid to pass through a particular sized orifice. This one might actually be doable - there's an ASTM spec. on it but I've never looked at it. There are equations to convert SSU to cP or other more recognizable units. But you did say easy, didn't you! I'd have to vote for pour a couple of fluids on a ramp and watch them (or find a relative who works for a lab)

/ Oil Analysis #7  
Some time ago-a site was posted that had a rather complete discussion concerning various brands of oil filters. Does anyone have this info??--Thanks

/ Oil Analysis #8  
I think the site you are looking for is:

http://members.xoom.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

In my opinion this site is not very usefull. While the filters are cut apart and compared, the filtration ability and how long this ability lasts is ignored. The only reason for a filter is to filter the oil the rest of the construction is secondary.

Andy

/ Oil Analysis
Re: 50 hr Engine Oil Analysis by Darr

The M6800 Engine Oil 50 hour Sample analysis came back as Normal wear on a first sample basis.

Viscosity 10.4
Copper 5 ppm
Iron 9 ppm
Lead 2 ppm
Aluminum 2 ppm
Silicon 18 ppm
Sodium 5 ppm
Magnesium 16 ppm
Tin 5 ppm
Zinc 929 ppm
Phosphorus 868 ppm
Calcium 3700 ppm

No Water, Fuel, or Anti Freeze
Chrome, Molybdenum, Potassium were all 0 ppm

This is the original oil that came in the Tractor from Kubota. Guess the only thing I can tell for sure is that the break in oil was probably 10 weight, but if anyone can speculate any more than that, please post for everyone to see. I have no idea whether the metals came from the tractor or came in the oil originally since I did not obviously have an unused sample. Maybe someone else will take a sample at zero hours and we can then compare.

The analysis was done by DARR Equipment Co 1-800-733-3277 They sell the vials for between $10 and $15 each for the analysis.

/ Oil Analysis #10  
Re: 50 hr Engine Oil Analysis by Darr

Wen: what were the units for the viscosity measurement?