Air Compressor Oil

/ Air Compressor Oil #1  

Shimon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 (gear driven)
I have a regular single stage air compressor (Port Cable brand / see photo) and was wondering what type of oil it uses. I've been using the "air compressor" oil you buy in small bottles but was wondering what type of oil it is...is it non-detergent 30wt (like Delo 100/30wt)? Thanks.

Attachments

• AUT_7802ACBrunoW.jpg
    AUT_7802ACBrunoW.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 196
   / Air Compressor Oil #2  
It's to bad search is not working because this exact topic was discussed in detail about a year ago. I believe the oil is simple non-detergent oil.

/ Air Compressor Oil #3  
For many years, in my compressors, I used regular detergent SAE 30W motor oil. Then I changed several years ago to the air compressor oil that I got from the same dealer who sold me the compressor. Now I have an "Industrial Air" compressor from Northern Tool (Coleman Powermate). The manual says it came with synthetic oil and that they "recommend a good quality 10W-30 synthetic motor oil."

Now I'm in favor of using what the manufacturer recommends, but with 50 years experience with a wide variety of air compressors, I've never personally known of a lubrication problem with a compressor except for running one low on oil or out of oil. In other words, any oil is better than no oil; just be sure there's enough of it in the crankcase.:)

/ Air Compressor Oil #4  
Shimon said:
I have a regular single stage air compressor (Port Cable brand / see photo) and was wondering what type of oil it uses. I've been using the "air compressor" oil you buy in small bottles but was wondering what type of oil it is...is it non-detergent 30wt (like Delo 100/30wt)? Thanks.

As Bird said.. use what your manufacturer specs. In most cases it is a 30w non detergent.. or the equivalent synthetic.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Air Compressor Oil #5  
Shimon, For a single stage compressor almost any oil will suffice,altho nondetergent is best since you dont need the oil lube qualities compromised a little bit by detergents only needed for an engine. For a 2 stage compressor, one that has a big piston supercharging a small one, my experience is that you really need compressor oil. These oils have anti rust additives. Altho desireable in all compressors due condensation, the 2 stage ones present an added problem. There is always positive pressure in the small cylinder as the compressor runs. The slight and continuous seepage of air downward limits oil left behind on the cylinder walls. They will rust during idle periods and the small piston may stick in its cylinder if the oil does not have appropriate anti rust.
This happened to me with a Kellog American 5Hp. I had it working fine on non detergent motor oil and left it sitting idle online in a tight system for a week. Lucky I was there when it tried to start - - It just hummed til I tripped the breaker. It would have tripped by itself in another few seconds I guess. The compressor was locked up. I rocked back and forth on the flywheel and it broke free. I have used compressor oil since. No problems.
Larry

/ Air Compressor Oil #6  
Someone said they used synthetic oil. It has practically no additives.

When I change mine, I'll lean towards just putting some of the 5w-30 Mobil 1 in it.

Ralph

/ Air Compressor Oil #7  
Ralph, as I said before, the manual for my current compressor recommends a synthetic. What I bought and am using is the same brand compressor oil as the compressor. The bottle labels do not specify "synthetic" nor do they give the SAE weight. It does, however, say it has "additives" to protect your compressor. Is it the right oil? I don't know. The same company made, or at least markets, both the compressor and the oil and I bought them at the same place.

/ Air Compressor Oil #8  
After owning a number of compressors over the years it seems theres a trend toward synthetic recommended by compressor manufacturers.
It used to be just straight weight 30 non detergent was what they recommended.

ps thats quite a handsome jacket there Bird---a newer carhart?? be careful of the women!!

/ Air Compressor Oil #9  
Those carharts are the thing. My little nephew wanted one. Took a while searching tsc stores but i finally found him one in munchkin size..

Soundguy

/ Air Compressor Oil #10  
TractorLegend said:
thats quite a handsome jacket there Bird---a newer carhart?? be careful of the women!!

If I looked as good as that carhart I might have to be careful of the women, but unfortunately, there's not danger of that.:(