Cheap Fram Oil Filters

Would you use a cheaply made Fram filter on your new or nearly new compact or sub-cut

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
   / Cheap Fram Oil Filters #11  
Ha ha,
In my case, I think an OEM filter might be the worst I could get??? I''d Have to go to China to get one. I'll go with Baldwin or Wix.

/ Cheap Fram Oil Filters #12  
With the Kubota, Tacoma, and Corolla which were all purchased new I use only oil filters from the dealership. Previously I would buy the least expensive oil filter for whatever vehicle I was driving, Fram, Wix, STP, Puralator.

Because of warrantee issues I took the dealerships suggestion and purchased the original equipment filters. The Toyota filters cost about the same as a good OEM filter and I get the drain plug gasket also, it's $6.00 for a filter and gasket.

The Kubota filter and 6 quarts of oil from the dealership cost me about $20.00. I don't find that cost out of line. Are these filters any better than a good OEM, probably not, but if they were good enough for the original equipment manufacturer to use then I guess given the filter cost right now they will work for me.

Randy

/ Cheap Fram Oil Filters #13  
With this.. I'd also like to throw in something.

many lube systems on old tractors, like fords for instance.. were bypass oil systems anyway.. That is.. only about 25% of the oil flow was even sent to the oil filter.

As for fram vs wix or napa.. well there is a downside to the story too. Again.. on some older tractors, the lube system was designed around the oil filter flow rate restriction. Lets look at allis chalmers. Everything is fine.. then all of a sudden, NAPA and WIX change the way they make the oil filter that fits many of the AC tractors. Immediatly, AC tractors are showing up with low or no oil pressure. That's why 90% of people with those AC tractors are using AGCO or Fram filters... so they can have oil pressure. The fram filters use a floss media, just like the OEM filters. NAPA and wix went to a paper pleat design and mucked up the whole deal... So napa and wix are not always better.

Soundguy

bbse said:
Let me clarify one thing. Yes, OEM filters have more pleats and usually, I am not sure in every case, Wix and some other high quality aftermarket filters have even more pleats. You are right that the filter media is rated by micron size. However, it is a misconception that the more pleats you have the more likely a filter will become clogged and go to the bypass valve. The more pleats you have the more surface area you have. Therefore, as the material catches the fine particules if you have less material the sooner you will clog the filter. More pleats means more time before you clog the filter. Filter media is expensive. That is why Wix costs more than Fram. As I said if you change the filter more often there is nothing wrong with a Fram filter. I use them on my cars sometimes.

And if you really want a better system, install a secondary bypass filter system. A regular oil filter catches particulate down to around 18-20 microns or so ( I think?? its been awhile since I studied this ). Bypass systems run some of the oil thru a second filter that goes down to around 6 microns. All the oil goes through the primary system every time it cycles but only goes through the bypass system once every 4-6 cycles. But it does remove much larger particles.

/ Cheap Fram Oil Filters #14  
I buy OEM filters. However, I'm not convinced that they are any better, or even any different, than the "Cheap Fram Oil Filters". I wish there was a way to find out.

/ Cheap Fram Oil Filters #15  
You guys worry too much. I have been using Tram oil filters for 30 yrs and no internal engine problems in any vehicles. The wifes lincoln has 187k and my soobie has 205K. I put 250K on an old plymouth......
I have started getting the upgraded Fram filters though, supposed to be better.

/ Cheap Fram Oil Filters #16  
FRAM has business for ever. They make a good product. In fact they make 3 or more levels of filters to choose from depending upon what use you put them to. I think you are trying to compare an apple and an orange. We all have to much time on our hands to even respond to something like this. Opinions are like a-------. Everyone has one.

/ Cheap Fram Oil Filters #17  
I really don't know the difference between floss media and the paper media. I do know that when we cut them open they all looked the same...Paper. Now Fram had paper caps on the end of the filter media and the others had metal. Is this worse or better, I do not know. The Wix rep never claimed they were using a different media. As a matter of fact he told us it was the same exact type of media. That was 15 years ago and technology could have changed, I do not know. But in order, best I can remember, the most pleats to the fewest was 1. Wix 2. AC,Motocraft, Mopar, Purolator 3. Fram. I would have to cut filters again today to make that same claim. Things change as does technology. As to the oil pressure issue, I cannot fathom how more pleats of the same type of material would lower presure. All you are doing is increasing the surface area. Now a more dense paper that restricted flow, that would do it, but I never heard that claim made by the Wix rep. Not trying to argue just stating my experience. BTW, It did give me a lot more confidence in oem brand filters.

/ Cheap Fram Oil Filters #18  
The paper filter media is TOTALLY different than the 'filter yarn' floss media.. two entirele different universes... The oil lube system on the AC for instance.. was designed with the backpressure generated in the floss media. it's WELL documented in allis chalmers circles that if you buy a new fitler and have low oil pressure, that if you inspect it.. it will be a paper filter.. not a floss filter. The floss filters are stiffly packed top to bottom with floss that is about as thick as a hair... a huge wad of it is compressed into the fitler can. The flow characteristics are completely different for the equivalent paper pleat filter.

The fram filter and the AGCO filter for the AC models I mention look identical except for the microprinting o fthe brand name. I wouldn't be surprised if they are made elsewhere and oem'd to fram and AGCO.

I've seent at with napa and carquest and wix filters. A particular fuel fitler we used.. I bought a wix, a napa, and a car quest.. the filters were identical.. didn't even have brands on them... just a generic part number.. all were the same ( except price of course ). There was a sequentil sn printed on the can. The carquest and NAPA fitler were within 20 units of each other... That just goes to show tha many distribuitors and some manufactuurers buy OEM fitlers from the same manufacturer.. etc.. ( as we know wix and napa hold hands.. etc.. )

Soundguy

bbse said:
I really don't know the difference between floss media and the paper media. I do know that when we cut them open they all looked the same...Paper. Now Fram had paper caps on the end of the filter media and the others had metal. Is this worse or better, I do not know. The Wix rep never claimed they were using a different media. As a matter of fact he told us it was the same exact type of media. That was 15 years ago and technology could have changed, I do not know. But in order, best I can remember, the most pleats to the fewest was 1. Wix 2. AC,Motocraft, Mopar, Purolator 3. Fram. I would have to cut filters again today to make that same claim. Things change as does technology. As to the oil pressure issue, I cannot fathom how more pleats of the same type of material would lower presure. All you are doing is increasing the surface area. Now a more dense paper that restricted flow, that would do it, but I never heard that claim made by the Wix rep. Not trying to argue just stating my experience. BTW, It did give me a lot more confidence in oem brand filters.

/ Cheap Fram Oil Filters #19  
That is completely true about WIX, NAPA and Carquest branded filters. They are exactly the same and are marketed as such. We did have a secondary line that was cheaper I think made by Purolator. Mighty auto parts was a Purolator. There is a lot of relabeling in filters. Usually you can tell by the price. Wix, Hastings, Baldwin, Purolator or Fram are probably making everybodys filters.

/ Cheap Fram Oil Filters #20  
Simply putting YES and NO would have sufficed. You have written your poll questions in such a way to get the poll results the way you want.