Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine?

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine? #1  

penokee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO-20 (sold to son-in-law), AC - H3 Crawler, L3130HST, (AC-WD w/Attachments - SOLD), 1984 Honda Big Red, Honda Foreman 4x4 w/plow
Have been considering purchasing a 3/4 T PU with a diesel engine, but after reading about the new diesel engines/Ultra Clean Diesel mandated for 1-1-07, am having second thoughts.
I believe that the new diesel engines can only burn the new Ultra Clean Diesel, but the current engines can burn either one. Also the new engines will have more filters, etc., requireing more maintenance/expense plus the Ultra Clean Diesel will be around a dime more per gallon.
It appears to me that a person would be better off to purchase a PU with the existing diesel engine rather then the new one. Is there something I'm missing?
Appreciate any/all comments/viewpoints on this subject.

penokee w/2 dogs

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine? #2  
You are not missing anything. The new ULSD on-road fuel will be mandatory starting Sept 1, 2006 (not 1/1/2007) and should already be available in some areas.

Starting with engines for the 2007 model year (not physical year) all diesel engines will require ULSD. You will not have an engine choice. If you are looking to buy I would buy now because I am sure the 2007 models will cost more due to the newer technology and all the extra stuff that may go with it.

Chevron has information on their web site that answers ULSD questions. You can read about it at http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine? #3  
I was fueling up my new 2006 F250 today and noticed there was a placard on the fuel pump saying that this fuel was not to be used in any 2007 vehicle. So if I was luckey enough to have gotten one of the new 2007 I could not buy fuel for it go figure.

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine?
Thanks Mad and Jim - your replies confirm my thinking.

penokee

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine? #5  
Ugh. Lots of current models out there at reasonable prices since diesel fuel became so expensive. The new diesels will not only require the ULSD but also have some sophisticated and maintenance intensive emmisions equipment that makes them even less desirable.

The current cummins is hard to beat in my mind. The duramax is just sounds wierd to me though I really like that allison transmission behind it.

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine? #6  
From the big truck side of things: There is a run on getting trucks before the EPA mandates kick in.

Freightliner, KW, Volvo, etc are building them as fast as they can around the clock. The new emissions standards will add approximately $7k to the price. In talking with my local Dodge dealer, he said the increased manufacture costs of meeting the EPA requirements will add about $2.5k to the cost. However, unlike the big trucks, the p/u manufacturers will spread the cost amoung all the pickups to reduce diesel sticker shock.

Sure is a fine mess.

Cliff

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine? #7  
cowpie1 said:
Sure is a fine mess.

Yes, but everybody was warned at least 2 years ago that ULSD and everything associated with it was going to happen. Panic near the deadline is just typical of manufacturing. Planning is not one of the USA manufcturing's strong points.:mad:

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine? #8  
MadReferee said:
Panic near the deadline is just typical of manufacturing. Planning is not one of the USA manufcturing's strong points.:mad:
It's the buyers who are panicing, not the manufacturers.

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine? #9  
The buyers will soon be panicing over the large numbers of new diesel powered vehicles on the market too, there will be too many choices of high mileage, high powered turbodiesel passenger cars and trucks for them to make up their minds....

Ah Wah - what will they do???

All thanks to ULSD!

/ Clean Diesel Engine or existing Diesel Engine? #10  
Two things to keep in mind here....

#1- the Ford Powerstroke for '07 is still an '06 built engine. This means that you can run either fuel in your '07 Ford.. When the 6.4L comes out in January(presumably as an '08) you will need to run the ULSD.

#2- As for the maintenance, allot is yet to be seen.. The PS for example will be capable of longer oil change intervals (I'm hearing of 7500mi) and less oil(if I remember correctly) due to the better fuel and not having a HUEI system. The oil will take less of a beating in this engine because of these regulations. The added cost will come with the particulate filter cleaning at about 100k and when(if) urea becomes necesary to reduce Nox, but that shouldnt be until 2010..

In short, the sky isnt falling.. Things are just changing, it will take a bit of time to see how these changes pan out, it could be a very positive thing for the diesel comunity..