just compared oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / just compared oils #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
For those that are concerned about ware metals .I just had had oil analysis performed on mobil 1 5w-30 vs Amsoil 5w-30.I drove a total of 5000 miles on both oils & used the same brand oil filter for both test.Amsoil came back with better #s than mobil 1.This isn't to start another war over synthetic vs dino. this is for info.

/ just compared oils #2  
where do you send your oil samples for testing and how much does it cost per sample? I think I would like to send a couple in.
FYI; I run Shell Rotella 15w40 synthetic diesel in my Kioti and Walmart 10w40 synthetic in my chrysler minivan.
The van I change filters at 5,000 mile intervals and oil and filter at 15,000.
No gasket leaks, no visible metal on crankcase magnet, engine inside looks like brandnew , with 138,000 mi hard driving miles.

/ just compared oils
joe48 , I wouldn,t drive 15,ooo on any dino oil.(notice I said I ) Walmart synthetic is no more than a souped up dino oil .Metal in an oil sample will measure in ppm so , you wouldn't see this on any oil pan magnet.This test will also tell you how well your oil additives are holding up .I have my analysis done at the local cat. dealer. There are a number of labs that will do this .You can go to the Amsoil web site & purchase a kit & send the sample off if you like .Cost is around $25.00 per test

/ just compared oils #4  
Need more info Kenmac. Were these the first two changes on the truck ? If so which one was first ? Also was the driving conditions the same for both changes ?
Just curious....And yes no Dino vs syn as both oils are genuine synthetic, right ?

/ just compared oils
slowrev, this is a mazda car & no this isn't the 1st oil changes for this car. The car has approx 73000 miles on it at this time.I bought the car used.I ran mobil full syn. 1st. to clean out any deposits & any other dino which may have been in the engine.Then, refilled with the mobil 1 5w-30 was full synthetic, went 5000 miles & had analysis. Yes, the driving conditions were about the same with both oils .It was hotter weather when the Amsoil was in . That's the only condition that was different ,I can't control the weather.I compaired the 2 because it is somewhat easyer to to get the mobil at the local wally world than order Amsoil.With Amsoil having better #s I'll have to order a few more cases. EXAMPLE : Iron was 8 ppm with Amsoil vs 13 ppm with mobil.Alum.was 3 ppm with Amsoil vs 5 for mobil.

/ just compared oils #6  
well...couldn't the mobil 1 cleaned it out for the amsoil?

i think that's why slowrev asked which was first.

mike

/ just compared oils #7  
INCONCLUSIVE!

If Mobile 1 was your "usual oil"..then analysis was OK for a baseline with MOBILE ONE. SEVERAL oil changes SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE with the other product to establish a proper baseline for IT.

You cant drive route "X" uing one oil and filter..drain and install a second product immediately and re-drive route "X" again and get proper results. Unless of course you removed the engine..tore it down and scrubbed and replaced all the internals...which I doubt!

/ just compared oils #8  
It would be interesting to see how another test with Mobil 1 would come out doing it now after running the amsoil , my bet is it might be a whole lot closer than before.

/ just compared oils #9  
kenmac said:
For those that are concerned about ware metals .I just had had oil analysis performed on mobil 1 5w-30 vs Amsoil 5w-30.I drove a total of 5000 miles on both oils & used the same brand oil filter for both test.Amsoil came back with better #s than mobil 1.This isn't to start another war over synthetic vs dino. this is for info.

Good to know. It is not 100% but it is better then nothing. At least you are doing UOA's! For this drain, Amosil performs better.

I would say run 3 of each, then test to get a goodbase line to compare. Maybe in your motor Amsoil is better. Maybe for others Mobil is better. The only oils I have seen (with higher wears) when comparing oil "1" to other (for one run) is Redline to others. This is only for one drain, then comes back down and normal; normal for Redline. Both oils (amsoil and Mobil) are very good. I would go with what is cheaper.

It is good to know anyhow. Did you try posting this on BITOG site? I find users over there (even chemist, etc) know there stuff. Not saying TBN's do not, but I find debates over there do not get as heated between brands etc.

good post though.

Last edited:
   / just compared oils
I would expect this from you sully , only you know how things should be tested. If only everyone else knew as much as you the world would be a better place. I should have asked you how to perform this test b-4 I went out on my own. If I had ran amsoil 1st & then installed m 1 & the #s came out the same ,It wouldn't be good enough for you cause you just don't like amsoil !The lab that performes the test thought it was a good way to compare the 2 but, it doesn't supprise me that you don't think so.You should open your own oil lab & charge for your expert advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.