"brush hog" gear oil and level.

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #1  

srjones

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2015HST & Mitsubish R1500
I have a small brush hog that came without a manual. I assume it's like most other brush hogs, so I'll ask here. For the gearbox, do they use standard gear oil? 80w+? Or something else? Also, as far as how much to put in...there's a plug towards the top...that's where the oil goes in. But how do I know how much is enough? There's also an hex set-screw about in the middle...could that be the level indicator?

I'll try to post a pic when I get a chance.

Thanks,

-Steve

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #2  
srjones said:
I have a small brush hog that came without a manual. I assume it's like most other brush hogs, so I'll ask here. For the gearbox, do they use standard gear oil? 80w+? Or something else? Also, as far as how much to put in...there's a plug towards the top...that's where the oil goes in. But how do I know how much is enough? There's also an hex set-screw about in the middle...could that be the level indicator?

I'll try to post a pic when I get a chance.

Thanks,

-Steve

99.9% of the mowers I've ever seen use 85/90 wt gear oil.

The level indicator plug you mentioned is exactly that.

Plug on top is fill opening.

If it's empty, find out why. (leaky seal?)

If it's full, check for water. bush hog gear boxes are notorious for collecting water/condensation. Use a suction pump to remove old oil. (Available at NAPA among other places)

If the seal leaks, it's not uncommon to fill gearbox with grease. (I won't do that, but it's not uncommon)

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level.
Thanks, that's exactly what I need to know. I don't think it's empty, and I don't think it leaks, but I'd feel better changing the fluid. :)

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #4  
This has nothing to do with your question. That's been answered correct.

Just thought I'd pass this on about gear box vents. I bought a KK some years back and noticed it didn't have a vent plug. After running the cutter for about a day I stopped to grease it. Pulled the level check plug out while I was there. It had enough pressure behind that plug to just about knock it out of my fingures. Since then I added a vent. May or may not do any good but I figured there was just about enough pressure buildup in that box to about push the oil by the seal. With the vent in there now I know it won't build up pressure. Like I said it may or may not do any good but don't think it'll do any harm either.

Nothing quite as exciting as that happened, but as you can tell from this picture, it's probably time to change the fluid...

Attachments

• bhgb.jpg
    bhgb.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 8,632
And on a related note (same brush hog)...any tips for removing the "blade wings" (I'm not sure what their proper name is, I just know it's the point where it pivots if it hits anything rather than bending the blade. Any suggestions for stabilizing the blade while I use a long breaker bar to get it undone? If I were to apply heat, should it go to the inside (bolt) or outside (nut)?

Attachments

• bhbn.JPG
    bhbn.JPG
    408.6 KB · Views: 4,222
   / "brush hog" gear oil and level. #7  
srjones said:
And on a related note (same brush hog)...any tips for removing the "blade wings" (I'm not sure what their proper name is, I just know it's the point where it pivots if it hits anything rather than bending the blade. Any suggestions for stabilizing the blade while I use a long breaker bar to get it undone? If I were to apply heat, should it go to the inside (bolt) or outside (nut)?

DO repalce the blade bolts and nuts if you remove the blades.

Also.. I prefer 85/140 wt oil in the gearbox.. though I'm sure 80w synthetic.. or 90w is FINE and won't hurt a thing.

As was mentioned.. some people add a 0# grease or mix grease and a little gear oin in a leaky box. ( Some boxes actually spec a 0# grease... )

The infor ont he fill and level plug was good.

Also.. look at your fill plug.. does it look like it has a sheetmetal 'cap' on it.. if so.. it is a breather cap. remove it and soak it in carb cleaner and try to blow air thru the little 1/32 hole int he base of the plug to make sure it can breatrhe.. or you can push seals out.. etc.

Soundguy

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #8  
Soundguy said:
Also.. look at your fill plug.. does it look like it has a sheetmetal 'cap' on it.. if so.. it is a breather cap. remove it and soak it in carb cleaner and try to blow air thru the little 1/32 hole int he base of the plug to make sure it can breatrhe.. or you can push seals out.. etc.

Soundguy

I did not know that, thanks!
Bob

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #9  
When I got my JD 1517 batwinf.. all 4 gear boxes had those breather caps.. and all 4 were plugged solid. I had to soak them in chem-dip carb cleaner for a few minutes and then blow compressed air thru them.

Soundguy

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #10  
First question - why do you want to remove the blades? If it is to sharpen them many here sharpen the blades on the hog. Block the cutter up and sharpen with a 4" disk grinder.