Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Platinum Member srjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    542
    Location
    Columbia County, Oregon, USA
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2015HST & Mitsubish R1500

    Default "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    I have a small brush hog that came without a manual. I assume it's like most other brush hogs, so I'll ask here. For the gearbox, do they use standard gear oil? 80w+? Or something else? Also, as far as how much to put in...there's a plug towards the top...that's where the oil goes in. But how do I know how much is enough? There's also an hex set-screw about in the middle...could that be the level indicator?

    I'll try to post a pic when I get a chance.

    Thanks,

    -Steve

  2. #2
    Super Member Farmwithjunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,514
    Location
    Mt Washington, Kentucky
    Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

    Default Re: "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    Quote Originally Posted by srjones
    I have a small brush hog that came without a manual. I assume it's like most other brush hogs, so I'll ask here. For the gearbox, do they use standard gear oil? 80w+? Or something else? Also, as far as how much to put in...there's a plug towards the top...that's where the oil goes in. But how do I know how much is enough? There's also an hex set-screw about in the middle...could that be the level indicator?

    I'll try to post a pic when I get a chance.

    Thanks,

    -Steve
    99.9% of the mowers I've ever seen use 85/90 wt gear oil.

    The level indicator plug you mentioned is exactly that.

    Plug on top is fill opening.

    If it's empty, find out why. (leaky seal?)

    If it's full, check for water. bush hog gear boxes are notorious for collecting water/condensation. Use a suction pump to remove old oil. (Available at NAPA among other places)

    If the seal leaks, it's not uncommon to fill gearbox with grease. (I won't do that, but it's not uncommon)
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member srjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    542
    Location
    Columbia County, Oregon, USA
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2015HST & Mitsubish R1500

    Default Re: "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    Thanks, that's exactly what I need to know. I don't think it's empty, and I don't think it leaks, but I'd feel better changing the fluid.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    583
    Location
    south/central Va.
    Tractor
    Deutz Fahr Agrofarm 100, Stoll loader, bucket, forks & root grapple

    Default Re: "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    This has nothing to do with your question. That's been answered correct.

    Just thought I'd pass this on about gear box vents. I bought a KK some years back and noticed it didn't have a vent plug. After running the cutter for about a day I stopped to grease it. Pulled the level check plug out while I was there. It had enough pressure behind that plug to just about knock it out of my fingures. Since then I added a vent. May or may not do any good but I figured there was just about enough pressure buildup in that box to about push the oil by the seal. With the vent in there now I know it won't build up pressure. Like I said it may or may not do any good but don't think it'll do any harm either.
    Charolais

  5. #5
    Platinum Member srjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    542
    Location
    Columbia County, Oregon, USA
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2015HST & Mitsubish R1500

    Default Re: "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    Nothing quite as exciting as that happened, but as you can tell from this picture, it's probably time to change the fluid...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Platinum Member srjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    542
    Location
    Columbia County, Oregon, USA
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2015HST & Mitsubish R1500

    Default Re: "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    And on a related note (same brush hog)...any tips for removing the "blade wings" (I'm not sure what their proper name is, I just know it's the point where it pivots if it hits anything rather than bending the blade. Any suggestions for stabilizing the blade while I use a long breaker bar to get it undone? If I were to apply heat, should it go to the inside (bolt) or outside (nut)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    46,372
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    Quote Originally Posted by srjones
    And on a related note (same brush hog)...any tips for removing the "blade wings" (I'm not sure what their proper name is, I just know it's the point where it pivots if it hits anything rather than bending the blade. Any suggestions for stabilizing the blade while I use a long breaker bar to get it undone? If I were to apply heat, should it go to the inside (bolt) or outside (nut)?
    DO repalce the blade bolts and nuts if you remove the blades.

    Also.. I prefer 85/140 wt oil in the gearbox.. though I'm sure 80w synthetic.. or 90w is FINE and won't hurt a thing.

    As was mentioned.. some people add a 0# grease or mix grease and a little gear oin in a leaky box. ( Some boxes actually spec a 0# grease... )

    The infor ont he fill and level plug was good.

    Also.. look at your fill plug.. does it look like it has a sheetmetal 'cap' on it.. if so.. it is a breather cap. remove it and soak it in carb cleaner and try to blow air thru the little 1/32 hole int he base of the plug to make sure it can breatrhe.. or you can push seals out.. etc.

    Soundguy

  8. #8
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,059
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

    Default Re: "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy
    Also.. look at your fill plug.. does it look like it has a sheetmetal 'cap' on it.. if so.. it is a breather cap. remove it and soak it in carb cleaner and try to blow air thru the little 1/32 hole int he base of the plug to make sure it can breatrhe.. or you can push seals out.. etc.

    Soundguy
    I did not know that, thanks!
    Bob

  9. #9
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    46,372
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    When I got my JD 1517 batwinf.. all 4 gear boxes had those breather caps.. and all 4 were plugged solid. I had to soak them in chem-dip carb cleaner for a few minutes and then blow compressed air thru them.

    Soundguy

  10. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    700
    Location
    Palmyra WI
    Tractor
    BX2230

    Default Re: "brush hog" gear oil and level.

    First question - why do you want to remove the blades? If it is to sharpen them many here sharpen the blades on the hog. Block the cutter up and sharpen with a 4" disk grinder.
    BX2230 w/ FEL to care for 21 acres of woods, hills, pasture and swamp, 800' driveway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.