transporting fuel

/ transporting fuel #1  

pipe_welder

Tractor
Kioti Ck 25
My friend just converted over to gas for heating. And is giving me the old tank and fuel. How much can I transport in 55 gallon plastic drums at a time? And He thinks its the cold weather blend from last winter any problems with using that in my tractor and storing it longer with the proper treatment?

/ transporting fuel #3  
Get a Mr. Funnel and filter it. Then, mix it with fresh diesel.
Bob

/ transporting fuel #4  
If the tank is full (275 gal.) it will take 5 - 55 gal drums to empty it. At roughly 8 lb per gal. each 55 gal drum will be about 440lbs. If loading them on a trailer you could do all 5 - 55 gal. drums plus the empty tank. just secure them very well so they don't tip over. If hauling in the pickup do 2 at a time to be safe. I recently bought 2 275 gal. tanks and each had about 100 gal. in them. They were loaded on my trailer with a fork and I chained them down and made the 20 mile trip home. Unloaded them with chains wrapped around them using a loader. Drained both tanks through a filter to a third tank. Fuel was good in both the ones I got.
Winter blend around here is usually 50/50 diesel and kerosene. I have used it in my tractor but not on a steady diet since kero doesn't lubricate as well as #2 diesel. I'd add more diesel to it if your going to use it on a regular basis.

/ transporting fuel #5  
Other lubricity addatives could be added.

My concern is the plaquard necesity. Anyone know what # plaque that is?

Soundguy

/ transporting fuel #6  
Soundguy said:
Other lubricity addatives could be added.

My concern is the plaquard necesity. Anyone know what # plaque that is?

Soundguy

The # is 1993- Fuel Oil

If the total quantity is under 119 gallons, then placarding should not be necessary. Plus since diesel is not flammable, the rules are a little less restrictive.

/ transporting fuel #8  
Yep.. I just went out an looked at my fuel rig.. couldn't remember. I have a 35g grease key i cleaned and painted yellow and have a hand pump in it. I mounted it to a 2 wheeled dolly. I just run it up on my trailer when i get low on fuel and take it to the station. I threw the plaq on there just in case I got in an accident.. that way the responders knew I was carrying a combustable liquid.

Soundguy

kennyd said:
The # is 1993- Fuel Oil

If the total quantity is under 119 gallons, then placarding should not be necessary. Plus since diesel is not flammable, the rules are a little less restrictive.

/ transporting fuel #10  
Soundguy said:
Yep.. I just went out an looked at my fuel rig.. couldn't remember. I have a 35g grease key i cleaned and painted yellow and have a hand pump in it. I mounted it to a 2 wheeled dolly. I just run it up on my trailer when i get low on fuel and take it to the station. I threw the plaq on there just in case I got in an accident.. that way the responders knew I was carrying a combustable liquid.

Soundguy

The fuel depot I buy my OR diesel from, only 50 gallons max at a time, gave me the 1993 placard sticker. I use it at home on the barrel which I painted yellow. I am not so worried about trasporting fuel but the firemen putting my house out worry about these things too. Yellow is supposed to be a universal diesel color isn't it?

I have also heard the 120 gallon max figure for fuel hauling. It follows that most fuel transfer tanks made for mounting in pickups are really cloase to that volume.