Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I have a hard time seeing the hydraulic fluid level on my dipstick because it is so clear. Is there a product that will safely dye the fluid so it can be seen more easily on the dipstick? Any other ideas for quickly checking the fluid level when there is little contrast between the dipstick and the fluid? I sometimes have to take a paper towel and slowly move it down the dipstick until it hits the fluid to confirm the level. My eye sight ain't all that bad either.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #2  
Could you paint the dipstick?
Black seems to show everything, might try a rattle can of flat black after you wipe it and clean it off real well.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid
It is a chromed dipstick so I would be concerned that paint would flake off. I guess I could remove the chrome but wanted to test the dye idea first.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #4  
On airplanes when we have oil leaks we put a red dye in the oil to help spot the leaks. The dye is strong enough to color the metal inside pumps etc. it eventualy is washed off by fresh oil. I don't know if that kind of dye is available for purchase. I have seen dye for air condition leaks.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #5  
I believe it was CAT that had the dye available. Check with your local CAT dealer.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid
Thanks, I'll find a local CAT dealer and see what they have.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #8  
Try Nye Lubricants, they are located in Fairhaven, MA which is almost in your back yard. Tel. 508-996-6721.
Great company to deal with.
Ken

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #9  
I have been using the Caterpillar oil dye for years and love it. It's economical to use and not only makes for easier reading's through sight glass's but it also makes tracking down pesky oil leaks alot easier.

/ Can you safely dye hydraulic fluid #10  
John Deere has a dye

Deere uses a red dye in the hydraulic oil to help identify oil leaks on the
assembly line.
Deere has adopted a part number for the red dye, MT3668. This is
available in a 12 mil. bottle which will treat 5 gallons of hydraulic oil.
It is very red makes fluid look like blood since installing it have found and stopped 2 leaks