Gelled Fuel

/ Gelled Fuel #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
No, no, no, my fuel isn't gelled but with the frequent questions about it I thought I'd ask. How do you ungel fuel? I assume if it's in a 5 gallon can, or some other container that's movable, you can bring it into a heated space. What about if the fuel in your tractor gels, what do you do then?

animation1.gif

/ Gelled Fuel #2  
Quick answer...{running late...}

Pour a couple gallons of kerosene into fuel tank to mix with fuel... open up fuel filter, clean out bowl area, pour in ~cup of kerosene, reseal, hopefully this will get you started... to move the unit into a warmer atmosphere as garage/shed/windbreak area to start dissolving gelled fuel to a flow point for proper winterized mix or additives to take over...

Some worst case scenarios is to "carefully" use an outside heat source such as heat gun/hair dryer/salamander, etc. to "ungel" the frozen wax crystals in the fuel...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Gelled Fuel #3  
If you're gelled up and nowhere close to a warm place to drag your equipment to, you can do this, but it's a pretty desperate measure. I can vouch that it works, so you know I have been desperate. A fire extinguisher is handy to have around for this.

Start a charcoal fire (about 5 lbs should do) in a tub, bucket, pail, hibachi, whatever you have, then build a windbreak around the gelled unit out of cardboard, corrugated tin, again from whatever McGiver-like materials you have available. Block off as many heat-leaking orifices as practical.

Once the windbreak is in place and the fire is basically glowing coals, shove the fire container under the vehicle under the area where it will do the most good and least harm.

Give it 15-30 minutes. If it isn't reduced to a smouldering pile of junk metal, you should be able to get it going for long enough to get it inside someplace warm enough to drain the fuel and replace it with #1 or some blend.

It's a relatively high-risk operation (although I have done this several times with no bad results), so your desire to have the piece of equipment running has to overpower your common sense which says, "Hey, the risk/reward ratio is very high here."

/ Gelled Fuel #4  
I read somewhere (sorry, I doubt I can find the reference) that once gelled, fuel does not return to it's normal state when warmed up. I gather that the gelling is the precipitation of the waxes in the fuel. I have no clue what the chemical process is, but apparantly once precipitated, it doesn't just disolve back into the fuel. This is consistent with the one experience I had with gelling. The fuel bowl gelled up and and I took it apart to clean it out. I placed all the gook in a coffee can and it was all still there a week later after sitting in my basement.

Maybe there are different ways for fuel to become "gelled", one static and another dynamic (my unofficial terms)? Static would be when you just leave fuel in a cold environment until it turns to jelly. Dynamic would be when cold, liquid fuel is run through a restrictive passage (like a filter) which causes the precipitation. This is total speculation on my part.

/ Gelled Fuel #5  
Hayden,

That is my understanding also, no first hand experience, but once the wax forms it is more or less a one way process.
Al

/ Gelled Fuel #7  
<font color=blue>...It's a relatively high-risk operation ...</font color=blue>

Charles...

I don't believe, I've seen that approach ever done...

Maybe once... a neighbor stopped making monthly payments on his tractor and they were coming to repossess it... and he didn't want anyone to have his tractor.../w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Gelled Fuel #8  
John:
-40 I've seen fires built under propane tanks. When the time comes you gota do do what you gota do.Putting hot coals underneath an engine to warm it up has not been unusual, actually a common practice. I do beleive that torches were applied to the engine of aircraft to enable the pilots to start them.
Egon

/ Gelled Fuel #9  
It will go back into solution, but it takes a temperature higher than room temp to do it.

/ Gelled Fuel #10  
You can also buy a product, can't remember the name right now, and dump it in the tank and it will thaw your lines. It takes about 24 hours though. You can also get a big tarp and throw it over the tractor and then put a torpedo heater under it, or some other type of heat. This is usually the fastest way.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF