Dry gas in diesel fuel tank?

/ Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #1  

Chuck_Lind

Gold Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TN65 & 1956 John Deere 50
Is there any harm in using dry gas in the fuel tank of my tractor? I would think it would remove any moisture/water to prevent problems.

Anyone have good or bad experiences?

/ Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #2  
Simple answer, NO. Alcohol based fuel additives are not for use in diesel engines. The alcohol lowers the lubricity of the fuel and can cause injection pump and injector damage due to increased wear. Look for a diesel fuel specific additive that does not contain alcohol.

The best thing to use is something that prevents the water/fuel emulsions so that the excess water can be drained off the bottom. DZL-LENE XL/10 is a good additive with demulsifier properties.

Last edited:
   / Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #3  
DieselPower:
Thank you for your entry. I do not like what I see collecting in my Mr Funnel. Jay

/ Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #4  
Power Service also makes diesel specific fuel additives. On their website under the water removal section they also state to drain off the water or suck it from the bottom of the tank until you see clean fuel starting to come out.

If your fuel filter does not have a water drain in it you might want to check a filter cross reference chart and see if you can get one with a petcock in the bottom of it. Then be sure to drain the filter on a regular basis.

One thing to remember is that disolved water is a fact of life in diesel fuel. That's the reason that most all diesel fuel systems have drain style filters. You need to get the water out as soon as possible before bacteria start to grow in it and completly fowl up your fuel system. That would be the black sludge you might find in your fuel system from time to time. It's not petro based slime, it's bacterial slime, little critters that grow in the boundry layer between the fuel and water and the last thing you want is little critters growing in your fuel. :)

/ Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #5  
I thought diesel anti-gel additives where alcohol based?

/ Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #6  
Nope. Any good diesel fuel additive will have NO alcohol in it. Alcohol is not good for diesel engines.

/ Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #7  
The only product manufactured by Power Service that contains the type of non-harmful alcohols recommended by engine manufacturers for removal of water is Power Service Diesel 911. Diesel 911, as its name implies, is used to solve the fuel emergencies diesel engine operators most commonly encounter. In winter, Diesel 911 reliquefies gelled fuel and de-ices frozen fuel-filters in a matter of minutes, eliminating the need for a tow truck. Diesel 911 also removes water from the fuel system to prevent icing problems and extend the life of fuel-filters, fuel injection pumps and fuel injectors. No other Power Service product contains any alcohols of any kind, including Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost and Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost.

Copyright Power Service Products

/ Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #8  
So, Power Service 911 has alcohol in it. Is that the product that is used for getting an already gelled diesel running?

/ Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #9  
jbrumberg said:
I do not like what I see collecting in my Mr Funnel. Jay
Remember, the cup or so of liquid that remains in the Mr Funnel IS USUALLY NOT WATER. You need a certain head pressure to make liquid go thru the filter element. At the end, there is not enough pressure to force the fuel thru the funnel element so what remains is mostly fuel. If your diesel is fresh chances are that there is very little, if any, water left in the funnel. It's mostly fuel. Most people just dump what is left in the funnel back into the storage container.

/ Dry gas in diesel fuel tank? #10  
jbrumberg said:
DieselPower:
Thank you for your entry. I do not like what I see collecting in my Mr Funnel. Jay

What are you seeing? Post a pic!!!!!!!!!
Bob