Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid #1  

GaryBDavis

Gold Member
This question has been bugging me for sometime. Perhaps all the great minds here can explain it to me.

I run the trans-hydraulic fluid in my JD5420. Although I don’t understand the reason why, I know to use it and not regular hydraulic fluid. However, I have several implements that hook up to my remote hydraulics and I’m sure they were filled with regular hydraulic fluid when I purchased them. Whatever oil they came with, it’s now obviously mixed in with my tractor’s trans-hydraulic fluid.

So is there an issue here or do I just think too much?

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid #2  
GaryBDavis said:

I wanted to ask the same question. I think we both think to much and I don't know if it is an issue.
Bob

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid #3  
The hy-tran fluid has more lube properties and also a little better at sheding heat other that that they are the same. Gradall excavators started using hy-tran several years ago and there reason was better life out of pumps not sure about that because most of them were good for 6000-8000 hr anyhow on a small tractor that would amount to more hours than most people could think about running in a life time. Next thing all the more oil in your attachments it would be well dulited anyhow more so after a couple of oil changes

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid #4  
Gary and Doc. most likely you are worrying about 'very little'.

UTF ( transdraulic ) is rated for final drives, trans, diffy, power steering, and hyds. Plain hyd oil ( jack oil, aw32.46.. etc ) is just that... hyd oil. No addative pack for the applications I listed.

Some tractors and implements have a common sump system, and use utf in the sump.. so hyd implements all have UTF inthem. some machines have a seperate hyd sump, and people use hyd oil in them. I prefer to use UTF in my machines that have seperate hyd sumps.. for just this reason.

In any case.. you may have what? a gallon or two of oil in an implement? and what? multi-gallons of oil in your tractor. Thru sucessive changes, that plain hyd oil gets diluted out till it is no longer a concern.

Now.. if you have a common sump machine with a very small resevoir.. and hooke dup to an implement with a large oil volume that would be passing thru the tractor, and it was full of hyd oil.. I think I'd do a flush afterwards and try to get utf into everything.. etc.

Soundguy

GaryBDavis said:
This question has been bugging me for sometime. Perhaps all the great minds here can explain it to me.

I run the trans-hydraulic fluid in my JD5420. Although I don’t understand the reason why, I know to use it and not regular hydraulic fluid. However, I have several implements that hook up to my remote hydraulics and I’m sure they were filled with regular hydraulic fluid when I purchased them. Whatever oil they came with, it’s now obviously mixed in with my tractor’s trans-hydraulic fluid.

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid #5  
The additive packages are very different. Foaming characteristics, ability to suspend contaminates and corrosion inhibitors are some of the areas the different additives address.

Buying used attachments full of "fluids" is like un-safe s-x. Every contaminate that was in the previous tractor is now in yours. (yuck!) You amy want to think about a fluid change and new filters ....

jb

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid #6  
Soundguy said:
Gary and Doc. most likely you are worrying about 'very little'.

Soundguy

Understood. I have almost 15 gallon shared sump.
Bob

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid
I have three attachments that use hydraulics: 12" Tree Terminator tree shear, WR Long Root/Brush Grapple, and a Beltec PHD. No telling what they were filled with from the factory (all were purchased new). The tree shear probably has the most volume with dual 5" cylinders, but still, that's still probably only a gallon or two. They cylinders on the other two are pretty small. I forget what the hydraulic oil capacity is in my 5420 but it's got to be pretty large. I'm going to quit thinking so hard and go back to getting some seat time in.

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid #8  
Doc_Bob said:
Understood. I have almost 15 gallon shared sump.
Bob

I made a mistake, more like 12 gallons.
Bob

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid #9  
Yep, there is a huge difference in UTF's and Hyd. fluids. The hydraulic fluid is just that, only a hydraulic oil. The UTF is not only a hydraulic oil but also acts as a gear lubricant, wet clutch oil, wet brake system oil, etc... UTF's have EP (extreme preasure) additives for the gear system, additives to handle wet brake and clutch chatter, increased heat levels and greatly increased anti-foam additive package to keep foam down in gear systems to name some differences. Run to much Hyd. fluid in a system ment for UTF and you will know the difference when the repair bill's start coming in.

/ Trans-hydraulic Fluid verses Regular Hydraulic Fluid #10  
not saying there is no difference that way but the small amount of hydraulic oil in attachments would not hurt the system. long term use in a system would not be good but there again long term in a small tractor could be a couple of years all the more hours most people put on a tractor. over the short term I would not be to worried. As I stated above the change in oil for our equipment was made even after they had already been using piston pumps and motors for several years and had very few problems with just hydraulic oil and they run at high RPM all day with pressures in the 5000psi range