Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740HSTC3; B3000HSDCC

Default Re: problems with fuel in cold weather

Need is a relative term. A number of folks here are of the opinion that you do not "need" to, and for the most part, the odds are on their side. Just like you do not "need" a spare tire on any given or even most days.

The day that you do need it is the problem. Using it prevents needing it.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, Case 450

Quote Originally Posted by RFB
    Need is a relative term. A number of folks here are of the opinion that you do not "need" to, and for the most part, the odds are on their side. Just like you do not "need" a spare tire on any given or even most days.

The day that you do need it is the problem. Using it prevents needing it.
    Well said, RFB.
    Kubota B7800, LA402 FEL, Homemade cab, 60" bushcutter, 74" rear snowblower (shrunk to 62").
    Kubota RTV500.
    Case 450 c/w 6-way dozer.

Tractor
    Massey GC 2310 TLB, Gravely 526, and a real old gravely which doesn't run currently

Thanks, I do carry a spare. I just did not want to add stuff it was already added to the fuel as part of some seasonal adjustment. I presume this stuff is available at major auto parts stores?
    Dan

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

Better put some Slick 50 in that crankcase, too.

Never know when you might need the extra lubrication.
    Meetings: If more than two people are there, at least one's time is being wasted.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740HSTC3; B3000HSDCC

Danny,

Power Service products are ubiquitous; I have purchased from WalMart and NAPA auto. The white bottle is the general purpose fuel treatment that reduces pour-point (keeping the paraffin inherent in diesel fuel in solution) to prevent filter and fuel-line clogging. It also adds lubricity to the fuel, which can be slightly reduced in winter fuel composition.

Power Service 9-1-1 is a different product (from the same mfg) that is used after the paraffin crystallization has occurred. It returns the paraffin back into solution, but is not intended for continual use. The white bottle product is for continual (every day).

Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLobster
    If I use on road diesel do I still need to add additives for use in cold wether? I am A newbie and need to make sure I can plow if we ever get snow this year. I am located in Central MA so it does get cold.
    Thanks
    Dan
    My understanding, Dan, is that off/on road diesel is irrelevant to your problem, and has to do with the tax you pay on the fuel. The off-road diesel is not taxed at as high a rate.. and is dyed a bit reddish so that if someone is using it on the road to avoid the taxes they can be shot or whatever is deemed the appropriate punishment in your locale.

Your issue has to do with the summer/winter blend of the fuel, not the on/off road taxation.

I just keep a 300-gallon tank of off-road diesel behind the garage, and it gets filled with whatever blend the oil company is using at the time of year they happen to stop by to top it off. I always add Power Service when that tank is topped off, and I've yet to have any problems even down to -20 F.

I've spoken to the Power Service people, who reassure me that using a lot more than recommended will not hurt anything but my wallet. So, when in doubt, I just dump in some more. This system has worked fine for 5-6 years now, and it's very convenient to just pull up next to the tank and fill up, rather than making runs to the gas station with smaller cans.

HTH,
    Bob

Bob Trevithick

Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLobster
    If I use on road diesel do I still need to add additives for use in cold wether? I am A newbie and need to make sure I can plow if we ever get snow this year. I am located in Central MA so it does get cold.
    Thanks
    Dan
    Yes.
    Bob

Tractor
    Ford 7710 with loada guy, John Deere 850, Massey ferguson 1533 w loada guy

or...
    dont cut your fuel at all. keep some addative around and dose as in summer and do what I did.
    fabricate a residual exhaust driven heater for the fuel bowl on your massey! I used a 3 or 4 foot section of commercial shop vac hose (steel gooseneck) that fits over the exhaust pipe and travels around the front over the front axle back up under the removable 1/4 panel and made a custome bracket. It redirects the exhaust gasses about 5 inches away from the bottom of the fuel bowl. The beautiful part is you dont have to worry about melting the plastic fuel bowl because as the exhaust gas temp rises (more throttle) the bowl draws in a relative amount of cold fuel from the tank so you exchange the heat at the same relative rate and temp throttle up or throttle down. total cost $45.00 no headaches. pics to come. As an aside, the massey fuel system is the most poorly designed piece of crap I've ever encounterred. Even my 35 year old John Deere of the same hp has a intermediary fuel heating system oem. nuff said.

Tractor
    Ford 7710 with loada guy, John Deere 850, Massey ferguson 1533 w loada guy

PS. Just did this today and it was -12 last night. The heat gun on the fuel bowl trick works if you don't mind having someone walk beside you with a 200+ foot extension cord to and from the spreader, unrealistic. I gt pissed today and built the residual exhaust heater. we use or 1533 and loader to load a larger spreader which we empty once a week. (manure) if the massey doesn't run 365 days a year, regardless of weather, we dont get our chores done and the horses get pissed, literally! Now I have a tractor I can count on everyday of the Year! yay! pucs soon.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    918 allis-chalmers

Yeah,change your fuel filter(s) as your paraffin probably dropped out of the fuel(starts dropping out at 15 degrees with straight #2 fuel oil) I run 30% K-1 Kerosene in the winter.I know...Iknow....many people say NO! do NOT mix K-1 into diesel,but I have for years and no problems.Just 30%.....not 40%. IF you can get true #1 fuel oil,you can go to 50% in cold weather.
    But consult your manuals because things have changed a lot with newer diesels and I'm talking only about older,larger engines. don-ohio (:^)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast