Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

Default Re: problems with fuel in cold weather

The bottom line is run the power service. I have never in the 30 years of driving diesels had one gel on me. I buy fuel from 1 vendor and when I don't I add power service. It also adds lubricity to the fuel, granted the newer injection systems are designed to run on the "dry" fuel but it can't hurt. I don't worry about it in the summer, maybe every 20 tank or so just to keep the algae down. When I worked for a oilfield hotshot company we had trucks jell when the drivers filled at filling stations [we had a 15000 gallon tank at our location] We would pull the fuel filters off and fill them 1/2 way up with 911powerservice and added the rest of the quart to the tank and that normally got the truck going. If not then the pick up was gelled/froze and you had to heat the tank. Not fun at 30 below zero. Powerservice is cheap insurance for me. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by CJONE View Post
    The bottom line is run the power service. I have never in the 30 years of driving diesels had one gel on me. I buy fuel from 1 vendor and when I don't I add power service. It also adds lubricity to the fuel, granted the newer injection systems are designed to run on the "dry" fuel but it can't hurt. I don't worry about it in the summer, maybe every 20 tank or so just to keep the algae down. When I worked for a oilfield hotshot company we had trucks jell when the drivers filled at filling stations [we had a 15000 gallon tank at our location] We would pull the fuel filters off and fill them 1/2 way up with 911powerservice and added the rest of the quart to the tank and that normally got the truck going. If not then the pick up was gelled/froze and you had to heat the tank. Not fun at 30 below zero. Powerservice is cheap insurance for me. CJ
    Power Serve or most any other additives dont do anything to prevent algae. You need to add a separate biocide for that.

Chris
    Last edited by Diamondpilot; 01-30-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Power Serve or most any other additives do anything to prevent algae. You need to add a separate biocide for that.

Chris
    I must have been fed a line of b/s then, not the first time CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

Power Service does make an additive Bio Kleen that they claim will take care of bacteria and fungi growth. Their standard Diesel Fuel Supplement makes no such claim.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

I have only experienced algae 3 times that I can remember and 2 of them fuel was purchased from low volume mom and pop stores where the fuel sits for well who knows months/years. I always tell my customers never buy from low use stations. We would purchase a algaecide from our fuel supplier that worked very good. In my personal truck a 7.3 with well over 100k on it I have changed the fuel filter 2 times and both times it looked like new. Always buy from high use stations. I would say 95% of the fuel I have put through the truck has come from 1 fuel cardlock. The fuel system on a diesel is the heart of the engine and if you keep it clean and the fuel good you will have very few problems. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123