problems with fuel in cold weather

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #1  

JCS_in_KY

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
I'm having my first problem with diesel fuel in cold weather. In August we bought a drum of diesel and I added Power Service to it but probably not enough to compensate for it not being a winter fuel mix. The temp today was about 29 and it's been down in the teens at night. This evening I started up my MF1533 and it ran fine. I let the tractor warm up and then did about 10 minutes of work with it. After that I parked it and left it idling while I ran inside. Up until this point it ran like normal. I came back out and got back on the tractor after letting it sit for about 10 or 12 minutes. I put the trans in gear and gave the tractor power and nothing happened. There was little or no throttle response at all. I looked at the fuel filter and the bowl was only filling up with fuel about 1/2" up, not full like normal. I'm thinking because of the low temps the fuel has been starting to break down and has clogged the filter and possibly fuel lines with parrafin. Does that sound right? Now the big question is what do I need to do to fix the problem? I'm assuming clean the filter and possibly fuel lines and also add more power service to my fuel mix. Does that sound right and is there anything else I need to do? Is there another additive I can add to the fuel to help clean the fuel system up? Thanks, John

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #2  
Wait a day and see if it fuel gelling or it is a dirty filter. I don't run winter diesel and don't have problems. Hate to see you take it apart for nothing. I also know that Power Service makes a product that you can add to gelled fuel that will get it flowing again. Don't remember the name, but it was talked about last year.
Dusty

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #3  
At those temperatures, any fuel flow issues are usually related to ice in the system, not gelling. Change your fuel filter if it doesn't have a water drain on it.

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #4  
This sounds like the classic symptoms of fuel gelling.

There is a very easy way to tell. Get a small sample of the fuel from the tank and put it in a clear glass container about 2" in diameter. Look at it carefully. If the fuel is clear, it is safe to use at whatever temperature exists right at that moment. If it is even slightly cloudy, you are below the "cloud point" and the wax which has precipitated out will clog your fuel filter.

The fuel is not spoiled or ruined, it is simply too cold. If you wait until spring, the fuel will be perfectly fine.

Meanwhile, get a couple of 5 gallon cans and go get some winter fuel straight out of a pump in your area. Your tractor should run quite well on this. You may be lucky enough to be abvle to add winter fuel to what is already in the tank and get a mixture which will run, but there is no guarantee of this.

If you drain as much out of the tank as you can do without extraordinary effort, put it back in your drum, and then re-fil with winter fuel you will probably have no more problems.

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #5  
Diesel 911 is mix used to put the parafin back in and take care of the water. If you can heat the tractor up to 45F or so overnight, that will fix the issue and make the addition of the 911 more effective.

You did add the PS in the WHITE Jug, right? not the silver? The silver will raise the cetane, but do nothing for the gel point.

You should also add 2x the listed dose of white PS when you add the diesel 911. That is to regain the loss in lubricity.

If you can find straight #1 you can blend the fuel in the storage tank.

jb

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #6  
Diesel 911:

Power Service Products -- "Diesel 911"

To Reliquefy Gelled Diesel Fuel:
During cold weather operation, diesel fuel that has not been treated with a Power Service Diesel Fuel Antigel can change from a liquid to a solid. This transformation is called gelling.

Add 96 ounces of Diesel 911 to each 100 gallons of fuel in the tanks. Remove fuel-filters and fill with 50% Diesel 911 and 50% diesel fuel. Reinstall fuel-filters. Start your engine. Let idle for five minutes to warm up fuel system. Add Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement as directed to protect against gelling.

Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel
De-ices frozen fuel-filters — no requirement to change fuel-filters
Prevents fuel-filter icing
Reliquefies gelled fuel in minutes — no tow truck needed
Removes water from fuel system — extends life of fuel-filters, fuel-injection pumps and fuel injectors
Contains Slickdiesel for maximum fuel lubrication — protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
Contains the type of non-harmful alcohols recommended by diesel engine manufacturers for removal of water in diesel fuel systems
Diesel 911 helps to solve fuel emergencies during the cold winter months.

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #7  
You could put a canvas heat houser on the tractor. It may help keep the fuel warm. and even direct some heat back at you.

Proper winter grade fuel is the real answer.

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #8  
If you can heat the tractor/fuel system up temorarily enough to get above the gelling point you should be able to add an anti-gel (Power Service seems to be the best) directly to the tank. Make sure you get it mixed in well and then run the tractor. This should get good fuel running throughout the system and fix your gelling problem. I would also add more to the drum so you can use the fuel you've already bought the rest of the winter. You may still need to replace the fuel filter.

I have only had a problem with gelling 1 time in 20 years of running diesel tractors and this is what I did to fix the problem. After that I always make sure I add PS to my fuel when I fill my containers at the pump. I am now using a 55 gal drum and I add the PS recommended amount and have had no problems at temps well below 15 degrees.

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #9  
Change the filter, add PS to the tank and get the tractor warm so the fuel flows. Then, with the fuelburned from your fuellines that does not have PS *the fuel that is gelling) replaced by fuel with PS, all is back to normal.
Bob

/ problems with fuel in cold weather #10  
If I use on road diesel do I still need to add additives for use in cold wether? I am A newbie and need to make sure I can plow if we ever get snow this year. I am located in Central MA so it does get cold.
Thanks
Dan