ATF in Power King Hydraulic System

/ ATF in Power King Hydraulic System #1  

Bill_C

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1100
I'm getting my FIL's old Power King 1614 running again. Before I fire the engine up, I'd like to drain and replace the hydraulic oil (since the hyd pump runs whenever the engine is running). The manual merely says "Automatic Transmission Fluid 220" (5 qts). This is just for the hydraulic system, the manual transmission and rear diff is completely separate on this machine (calls for 80/90 gear lube for them).

Would a regular VG 220 hyd oil be OK, perhaps the Walmart tractor oil, or is there a reason I should buy a particular ATF (Dextron? Mercon?) Again, it only goes through a simple hyd valve and cylinder for the 3-point hitch.

/ ATF in Power King Hydraulic System #2  
you can probably use any ATF, main difference in a all the modern ATF's would be the different friction modifiers they use for clutches and shift quality,

doubt it would matter to much to a tractors hydraulic system.

have you looked at places like Dollar general store, they still sell that old fashioned ATF , its just says its suffix A, doesn't meet any modern specs.

/ ATF in Power King Hydraulic System #3  
Yep.. probably any atf or utf would work.

Soundguyt

/ ATF in Power King Hydraulic System
Thanks, I'll look out for some of the old suffix "A" ATF, if I can't find it I'll probably go with the Walmart UTF.

/ ATF in Power King Hydraulic System #5  
Hmm, 220 you say. Seems a tad thick if that's suposed to be the ISO number. A ISO 220 fluid would work out to a 50 weight motor oil in viscosity. I wonder if the 220 number is a Power King spec number by chance? Most tractors use a ISO 32 viscosity fluid. The thickest UTF I can think of for hot summer use is a 10W/30 so 50W seems way to thick for tractor use. Personally I would just use a ISO 32 UFT. If you are unsure what is currently in the system you might even consider doing a drain, fill, run for a while, drain and refill to flush out as much of the old "unknown" fluid.

/ ATF in Power King Hydraulic System
Yep, after my original post I got to thinking, a VG 220 sounds more like what we put in gearboxes at work, not a hydraulic oil spec, but it's been a while since I've had to deal with oil specs. (Usually our gearboxes come with paperwork giving a recommended range and I just give the paperwork over to the maintenance folks and let them fill 'em up with the plant standard-issue oil.) Perhaps you're right, that was a Power King spec number instead of an ISO weight?

I saw Tractor Supply carries a 2 gallon jug of multi-spec ATF for about $24, but they've got the universal tractor-hydraulic fluid for abour $18 for a 2 gallon jug. I may just drain the system-well, it needs draining anyways-- and put their UTF in.

The big question for me, on a broader note, is how much effort do I put into restoring this tractor for the FIL. I can get it running for about $100 (but it'd be real easy to spend a whole lot more). He's already got a Ford 1700 with a bush hog, as well as a riding mower, so it's not like he's going to use this tractor much at all. Shucks, even if he gave it to me, what would I do with it--the belly mower deck is about rusted out....perhaps I could fab a small front-end loader for it, since it's got a decent hydraulic system on it......

/ ATF in Power King Hydraulic System #7  
Restore it and parade it?

Soundguy

/ ATF in Power King Hydraulic System #8  
BILL_C,

would it be possible to beg, borrow or buy a copy of your power king Front end loader manual. I have the parts diagrams but nothing else.
thanks