ULSD availability

/ ULSD availability #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
Talked to my fuel distributor today. He gave me a pamphlet on fuel. Q. Is all diesel fuel sold at gas stations and truck stops in the USA now ULSD? A. No. At present the EPA requires only 80 percent of the highway diesel fuel manufactured in the USA to be ULSD. Consumers may still find some LSD at service stations and truck stops until December 1, 2010, when the EPA requires all highway diesel to be ULSD.

/ ULSD availability #2  
However, now the rest of the story.

The large refineries must insure that at least 80% of their production is ULSD. However, in reality most, if not all of the large volume refineries are attempting to produce only ULSD. The small amount of LSD that is being produced (way less than 20%) is nothing more than fuel that does not meet the specifications for ULSD. It's simple production economics.

Furthermore, the distribution chain (pipelines, etc) has issues transporting both ULSD and LSD. The two cannot be mixed. The EPA has given the industry an additional 3 years to work out all the issues. You can be sure the industry will be switching over to 100% ULSD way before the EPA deadline. Monetary issues will force the switch quicker.

The bottom line is that LSD is going to become scarce in the very near future. It's price will increase accordingly. I predict that the only fuel you will find this time next year will be ULSD. It's simple economics.

The fact that LSD is still available in some areas is no surprise, today. Tomorrow it will be a surprise.

BTW, none of the above applies to California where ULSD is the only fuel that can be sold.

All of this has been discussed before and full information can be found at several web sites that have been posted previously. Chevron Diesel and The Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance are just 2 of the sites that contain this information.

/ ULSD availability #3  
This afternoon I saw the first pump labeled ULSD in western NC It was $2.69 and regular unleaded was $2.25

The days of diesel being the same price or cheaper than regular gas are long gone.

/ ULSD availability #4  
Today I saw the ULSD label on the pumps at a local truckstop/gas station. All of their pumps had the sticker on them. That is a first for around here.

My guess is that the LSD diesel that gets produced accidentaly or otherwise will have red dye added.

/ ULSD availability #5  
dirtworksequip said:
Talked to my fuel distributor today. He gave me a pamphlet on fuel. Q. Is all diesel fuel sold at gas stations and truck stops in the USA now ULSD? A. No. At present the EPA requires only 80 percent of the highway diesel fuel manufactured in the USA to be ULSD. Consumers may still find some LSD at service stations and truck stops until December 1, 2010, when the EPA requires all highway diesel to be ULSD.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/90345-ulsd-power-service-question-new-post.html

/ ULSD availability #6  
dirtworksequip said:

The Petroleum Industry has outdone itself by beating the ULSD mandate of 80%, right now it is 85%! :D

News for Release: Monday, December 11, 2006

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

"85 PERCENT OF HIGHWAY DIESEL FUEL MEETS EPA STANDARDS"