New Fuel Transfer Tank ?

/ New Fuel Transfer Tank ? #1  

PSDStu

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota, M7060 HDC12, L4060 HSTC, RTV 1140
I just bought a used 100Gal Fuel Tank/Tool Box Combo unit. It had a little bit of water in the tank. I have flushed and drained the tank with a couple gallons of diesel to try and remove any of the water that was in the tank.

I am going to install a Fill-Rite 1210 DC pump with the suction tube probably a couple of inches off the bottom of the tank and was wondering if I should use a Cim-Tek 260HS-10 or 30 filter to reduce the chance of getting any water contamination into the fuel system?

I was also thinking of maybe adding some Power Service "Clear Diesel" but not sure if that might be overkill.

There wasn't alot of water in the bottom of the tank, and think I probably flushed the majority of it out, but don't want to risk damaging the injectors or fuel system on my tractor.

Thoughts?

/ New Fuel Transfer Tank ? #2  
Pay me now, or pay me later. I would take the precautions to postpone the pay me later part.

/ New Fuel Transfer Tank ? #3  
Most Power Service additives remove water. If the tank isn't mounted yet you could drain out any fuel, tip the tank and stuff most of an old bath towel in the opening to absorb what is left in the tank.

/ New Fuel Transfer Tank ? #4  
Before you use it for diesel, try doing this first.

Fill tank with 5 gallons regular gasoline. Add a bottle of gas additive that contains alcohol. One bottle usually does either 14 or 21 gallons. This gives you the overkill factor by using only 5 gallons. Shake well and then use this in a vehicle. The alcohol in the fuel additive will take the water with it into the gasoline and everything will be burned. You will then have an emptry tank with a few ounces of gasoline in it instead of water. The water should be completely gone. The only cost is the $2 bottle of gas aditive.

If you sususpect a LOT of water and/or rust or crud, then merely discard the 5 gallons of gas/additive/water mixture. Now your cost is up to $12 to thououghly prep the tank.

Definitely get at least one fuel filter in your system, if not two. A $10 filter every 6-9 months is way cheaper than fuel injector repairs.

/ New Fuel Transfer Tank ? #5  
Overkill? Heck no.. I'd deffinately err on the side of safety. I generally add a little PS to all my tank fill ups down here in wet balmy florida.

Soundguy

PSDStu said:
I just bought a used 100Gal Fuel Tank/Tool Box Combo unit. It had a little bit of water in the tank. ...I was also thinking of maybe adding some Power Service "Clear Diesel" but not sure if that might be overkill...... but don't want to risk damaging the injectors or fuel system on my tractor.

Thoughts?