Tractor
    Kubota, M5040 HDC, L4060 HSTC, BX2360, RTV 1140

Default New Fuel Transfer Tank ?

I just bought a used 100Gal Fuel Tank/Tool Box Combo unit. It had a little bit of water in the tank. I have flushed and drained the tank with a couple gallons of diesel to try and remove any of the water that was in the tank.

I am going to install a Fill-Rite 1210 DC pump with the suction tube probably a couple of inches off the bottom of the tank and was wondering if I should use a Cim-Tek 260HS-10 or 30 filter to reduce the chance of getting any water contamination into the fuel system?

I was also thinking of maybe adding some Power Service "Clear Diesel" but not sure if that might be overkill.

There wasn't alot of water in the bottom of the tank, and think I probably flushed the majority of it out, but don't want to risk damaging the injectors or fuel system on my tractor.

Thoughts?

Tractor
    IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel

Default Re: New Fuel Transfer Tank ?

Pay me now, or pay me later. I would take the precautions to postpone the pay me later part.
    Praise is not something you do to get closer to God, praise is a response to God being close to you.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Most Power Service additives remove water. If the tank isn't mounted yet you could drain out any fuel, tip the tank and stuff most of an old bath towel in the opening to absorb what is left in the tank.

Tractor
    JD 790

Before you use it for diesel, try doing this first.

Fill tank with 5 gallons regular gasoline. Add a bottle of gas additive that contains alcohol. One bottle usually does either 14 or 21 gallons. This gives you the overkill factor by using only 5 gallons. Shake well and then use this in a vehicle. The alcohol in the fuel additive will take the water with it into the gasoline and everything will be burned. You will then have an emptry tank with a few ounces of gasoline in it instead of water. The water should be completely gone. The only cost is the $2 bottle of gas aditive.

If you sususpect a LOT of water and/or rust or crud, then merely discard the 5 gallons of gas/additive/water mixture. Now your cost is up to $12 to thououghly prep the tank.

Definitely get at least one fuel filter in your system, if not two. A $10 filter every 6-9 months is way cheaper than fuel injector repairs.
    Lewis Gordon

JD 790, 300 FEL, 5' KK rotary mower, 5' boxscraper, Huskee 3PT logsplitter, JD#39N sickle mower and a Jinma 6" chipper in JD colors.

My XUV gas Gator wants a brother !!!!!!!! (the diesel kind)

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Overkill? Heck no.. I'd deffinately err on the side of safety. I generally add a little PS to all my tank fill ups down here in wet balmy florida.

Soundguy

Quote Originally Posted by PSDStu
    I just bought a used 100Gal Fuel Tank/Tool Box Combo unit. It had a little bit of water in the tank. ...I was also thinking of maybe adding some Power Service "Clear Diesel" but not sure if that might be overkill...... but don't want to risk damaging the injectors or fuel system on my tractor.

Thoughts?