Gas in a diesel

/ Gas in a diesel #11  
Anybody put a locking cap on your tank to keep this kind of thing from happening? Might be a cheap way to prevent an expensive overhaul.

/ Gas in a diesel #12  
BTDT said:
Anybody put a locking cap on your tank to keep this kind of thing from happening? Might be a cheap way to prevent an expensive overhaul.

I have done exactly that.

The dealer pointed out that kids sometimes like to fill a fuel tank with pebbles, dirt, rocks, whatever they can find that will fit in the hole.

The locking cap was expensive, but worth it.

/ Gas in a diesel #13  
CurlyDave said:
I have done exactly that.

The dealer pointed out that kids sometimes like to fill a fuel tank with pebbles, dirt, rocks, whatever they can find that will fit in the hole.

The locking cap was expensive, but worth it.

And I guess if your the only one with key/keys, you are pretty safe.

/ Gas in a diesel #14  
last week I had one of my employees do the opposite.... put diesel in the gasser.

I didn't want to fool around fueling the vehicle because we had alot of stuff to move thursday, so on wednesday I told him to go fill it up so we would be ready . thursday morning I tell him to go get the truck ( 84 F600) and he has trouble getting it started... finally gets it over where we need it and it barely runs, black smoke out the exhaust, yada, yada yada....

to make a long story short I asked him if he put gas in it or Diesel... he tells me Diesel.... I asked him how much... he says about 25 gallons. great, go get a drain pain and drain the tank.... good thing is the diesel is heavier than gas and since gas engine doesn't return fuel to tank most of it came out before clean gas came out, I didn't have to throw away 100 dollars worth of fuel.

So I did end up fooling around.

/ Gas in a diesel #15  
KICK said:
last week I had one of my employees do the opposite.... put diesel in the gasser.

I didn't want to fool around fueling the vehicle because we had alot of stuff to move thursday, so on wednesday I told him to go fill it up so we would be ready . thursday morning I tell him to go get the truck ( 84 F600) and he has trouble getting it started... finally gets it over where we need it and it barely runs, black smoke out the exhaust, yada, yada yada....

to make a long story short I asked him if he put gas in it or Diesel... he tells me Diesel.... I asked him how much... he says about 25 gallons. great, go get a drain pain and drain the tank.... good thing is the diesel is heavier than gas and since gas engine doesn't return fuel to tank most of it came out before clean gas came out, I didn't have to throw away 100 dollars worth of fuel.

So I did end up fooling around.

Doy you get some strange type of Martian diesel fuel? :) In all my years and all the gas and diesel tanks I have ever drained because of mixed fuel in my shop I have never seen one where the gas did not mix with the diesel. In fact they mix rather well together.

/ Gas in a diesel #16  
DieselPower said:
Doy you get some strange type of Martian diesel fuel? :) In all my years and all the gas and diesel tanks I have ever drained because of mixed fuel in my shop I have never seen one where the gas did not mix with the diesel. In fact they mix rather well together.

DP, I thought the same thing but this was a carbeurated truck we are talking about, so it doesn't recirculate the fuel like it would if it were injected. he filled it up on Wednesday and parked it, didn't drive it but a 1/4 mile.

when they started draining it out the bottom, it was nearly pure diesel fuel, after about five 5 gallon pails were removed it was coming out mostly gasoline. I told em to stop and fill it up with gas at that point.

apparently it didn't have a chance to mix.

Reminds me of another argument I had with one of my my friends who drinks way too much most of the time to be a good judge of the merits of anything. argument started out in the old Chevy vs ford manner, one of his points was that ford used two fuel tanks and Chevy only offered one big tank at that time. I'm asking him why two tanks are better than one if they both hold roughly the same amount of fuel??

answer is ,,,, in case you put gas in your diesel tank, you can always switch tanks..

I asked him who was STOOPID enough to do that, whereupon he assumed a really dumb look on his face.

I can understand how people do manage, some of these friggin gas pumps offer diesel and gas at the same pump. I was at a service plaza on the Florida Turnpike getting fuel and was standing there watching a woman put the diesel nozzle into her Jeep Cherokee. Thinking to myself I didn't know Jeep sold a Diesel version of those vehicles.... then my nice side took over and I asked her if she knew she was pumping diesel fuel into what I thought was a gasoline powered vehicle.. She said it used gas, whereupon she stopped pumping... then she asked me if it would hurt anything.... I told her it would hurt her pocketbook when she got the tow bill and they had to come get her.

luckily she had only put in a couple gallons, I told her it would probably be fine if she filled it with gas although it wouldn't probably run real good until she burned up that tank of fuel.

/ Gas in a diesel #17  
If it was running when you shut it off, good for you. They used to add a little gas in the winter time to the vw rabbit diesels with out a problem. If it did not go boom, drain it, new fuel filter, prime it.

/ Gas in a diesel #18  
redlevel said:
The same thing happened to a Super Dexta I owned about 20 years ago. I loaned it to a friend whose property I was renting, and he cranked it by holding a gasoline-soaked rag over the air intake. Blew holes in two pistons. The tractor cranked and ran, but I noticed it was pumping oil out through the dipstick. The compression was going back into the crankcase and forcing the oil out. I hope you have better luck.

Mark

That is a little bit different situation...that damage was caused by having fuel in the intake, much different than injecting gasoline instead of diesel. Most any fuel would have done the same damage; it's because the fuel is already in the cylinder when compression begins. If it lights too soon, you get detonation.

/ Gas in a diesel #19  
My brother used to put 5 liters of gasoline into a tank full of Diesel in his old Volvo 240 diesel, to compensate for the low compression of this worn engine. It did make a 15 to 20 km difference in top speed when hooked up to a 2 horse trailer... ;)

Putting gas into a diesel is like what you get when using kerosine in a diesel: there simply isnt enough lubrication for the fuel pump which may ceise it. Kerosene with engine oil or 2 stroke aditive will be better for the fuel pump though it may cause smoke.... :p

Putting diesel into a gas wont cause much problems to the engine, just to your time schedule for cleaning fuel tank, lines and filters.

/ Gas in a diesel #20  
UH Renze, kerosene is a distillate fuel that is very similar to #1D.

so why would you add oil?

but the thing about the two horse trailer and the volvo is too much. LOL.