Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2015 HST-- Snapper 1650, Snapper 1438

Default Re: Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas?

There are 2 stroke gasoline radio control engines which are somewhat converted weed eater engines that tell you that you can use coleman fuel with proper oil mix with no warranty problems. I thought it was just white gasoline and would work fine, I never have because it costs more than regular gasoline..
    If ya don't do it when ya get to it, ya may never get to it to do it again

For what it is worth this is just an assumption with no hard data to back it up.

If the previous posts about Coleman fuel is correct that it is a blend containing cyclohexane then the engine noise reported by some may be due to detonation (engine knock) which also could burn a piston.

Gasoline is a class 2 flammable & cyclohexane is a class1, if I recall correctly High Octane gas has a retarder added to slow the burn rate which prevents detonation in high compression engines.

If you ran a low compression engine slowly on Coleman fuel just get to the gas station it might survive, run a high compresion engine on it hard & engine knock might destroy it?

Just an opinion buit it could explain the different experiences.

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

According to the Coleman MSDS for their fuel it has a number of thing's in it.

http://www.colemanforkids.com/coleman/msds/5103-232.pdf

Tractor
    bx-23 ,

I remember dad putting it in his 68 scout on a long trip pulling a camper from maryland .I dont remember why,or how far we went,but the scout ran fine,that i recall.Who nows the formula could have changed over the years.I use to be able to start a snowmobile engine on a workbenchon straight wd-4o and it would run fine ,15 years ago.They must have changed something,because thats no longer the case,its not as combustable.
    ALAN
    KUBOTA BX-23,Block heater, AG TIRES[rears filled],MECHANICAL THUMB,SALSCO CHIPPER,WOODS LRC60 LANDSCAPE RAKE WITH GAUGE WHEELS,,HOMEMADE BUCKET FORKS,QUICK HITCH FOR 3 POINT HITCH,HOMEMADE FRONT BUCKET MOUNTED QUICK HITCH[for 3 point implements], FARM FORCE 6 FT 3 POINT BLADE,MARKHAM TOOTHBAR,HOMEMADE TRAILER HITCH FOR BACKHOE, HOMEMADE HEATED STEEL AND FIBERGLASS CAB,54 INCH PRONOVOST PUMA 3 POINT SNOW BLOWER,WITH HYDRAULIC CHUTE CONTROL,REAR TIRE CHAINS,UPGRADED 40 AMP ALTERNATOR,4-55W LIGHTS

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

The propellant has changed inthe wd-40.

Soundguy

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4010

Coleman fuel can be used in some 2 stroke applications (with oil of course). I have used it in an RC airplane with a converted poulan chainsaw engine and actually gained a couple of hundred rpm with it. A lot of RC airplane and helicopter guys with gasoline engines like it because it doesn't smell up their vehicle like regular gas does. I have also tried it in my weedeter when I ran out of regular gas and it worked just fine.

I have used the "white fuel" for several years in an RC Helicopter running a 2-stroke engine with great results. The RC helicopter application is certainly one of the "heavy duty" uses of a 2-stoke engine (the engine is running at a constanst high power output). My personal experience show it is a very low octane fuel, but in the correct application is works fine. I would not use it on any engine which expects a very high octane fuel, but on all the two stroke engines I have run it in (weed trimmers, chain saws and my model toys) it has done very well.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4010

Cool, I fly helis too. I wish I had a gasser also but I just have nitro and electrics now. Where do you fly at?

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Years ago we used to use Amoco high test gas (white gas, actually it was clear) in our Coleman camp stoves because gas was cheaper than Coleman fuel. I don't know if it works the other way around to use as fuel for a gas engine.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by George2615
    Years ago we used to use Amoco high test gas (white gas, actually it was clear) in our Coleman camp stoves because gas was cheaper than Coleman fuel.
    I thought that was not recommended due to lead poisoning.

When Unleaded became available ('72?) I started using it for my Coleman stove and lantern. it crudded up the generators so bad that it cut heat, or light, output by half by the second summer. I replaced the generators (pre-heat tubes) and went back to Coleman Fuel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast