Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas?

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #1  

frigman

Tractor
farm pro 2425
Question to the pro,s. I was given 9 gal on coleman camping fuel-- can I use it in my lawn mowers? or if I can,t what would be a good use for it. Thanks for any info

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #2  
Coleman fuel is actually a solvent. I don't think you want to run it in any kind of engine. I did a search and found out that it is also used in making Meth.

Heres a gov. site that you can check it out yourself.
http://www.oehha.ca.gov/public_info/pdf/TSD%20Coleman%20Fuel%20Meth%20Labs%2010'8'03.pdfed

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #3  
frigman said:
Question to the pro,s. I was given 9 gal on coleman camping fuel-- can I use it in my lawn mowers? or if I can,t what would be a good use for it. Thanks for any info

Coleman Fuel
Coleman fuel contains about 50% naphtha, 50% aliphatic petroleum distillates, 2% xylene, 2% toluene, 0.5% benzene, green dye and rust inhibitors (to help prevent rusting of internal parts and facilitate long shelf life). The carbon number range is C5 to C9 with a boiling point range of 100-350° F. Coleman Fuel contains up to 25% n-hexane and up to 15% cyclohexane by weight and it is fully hydrotreated to remove aromatics, (reported to contain less than 0.001% benzene).

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #4  
I would not use it in any engine. It is a burner fuel used in no compression applications, not a internal combustion engine fuel.

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #5  
I think it's nearly identical to Stoddard Solvent. At least they are interchangeable in Coleman appliances.

Also it's interchangeable with 'white gas' in Coleman appliances. Before unleaded, white gas was plan gasoline with no lead or additives, and was the recommended fuel for some 2-cycle outboards (when blended with 2-cycle oil).

As noted, Coleman fuel has anti-rust and shelf life additives.

I've burned it in small concentrations in gas engines on many occasions. Typical use was pouring the remainder of a gallon can into the gas tank to drive home from the last camping trip of the season. Also to get rid of partial gallons that I thought had been stored too long.

I've read that it is very low octane but blended with gas at less than 10% this shouldn't be a problem. I think I noticed a tendency to ping only once. I bought gas to top off the tank which solved the problem.

In summary - I would dispose of that by running about 5% Coleman/gasoline in my car.

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #6  
I would find someone with a Coleman stove or lantern and trade him for gasoline-up here it would be on a 2:1 ratio ( 2gal gas-1gal naptha) and you would both be getting a good deal. We used to run unleaded gas in the Coleman stuff because naptha was so pricey and hard to find in the bush. The unleaded burnt a little dirty but worked OK. I wouldn't try straight naptha in gas engines though.( it is great stuff for degreasing, cleaning paint brushes, etc but VERY flamable!)

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #7  
I always though that Coleman fuel was just naptha (ligher fluid) but the blend mentioned sounds probable.

Of historical interest.
While it may not be recommended for internal combustion engines it was used in external combustion "naptha engines" about the turn of the last century. Naptha was heated in a boiler as the working fluid for what was essentially a steam engine with the engine exhaust sent to the boiler burner for heat. You couldn't over heat the boiler as when it went dry the fuel was also exhausted.

They were lighter than steam engines & circumvented a law requiring a licensed engineer to opperate a steam engine. They were mostly used in small private launches but since a steam engine developes maximum torque at stall it is likely that some found use in tractors.

I'll stay with diesel thank you.

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #8  
I don't know the shelf live of Coleman fuel but I have a gallon I bought in the early/mid 90s for a small camping stove. When an ice storm took out the power a few years ago by dinner time it was time for something warm. I got out the stove, filled it up and she let up as usual. As soon as I got the soup boiling the power came back on. :D

Hopefully in future outages all I have to do is cook some food.

A month or two ago we lost power at the house and we just happened to want soup. Put it on top of the wood stove to warm. :D As soon as we finished the lights turned on. :)

Later,
Dan

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #9  
The shelf life is excellent but I've found water at the bottom of half-full Coleman Fuel cans. Also rust in a bottom corner of the can itself. I think any air in a partial can eventually separates into dry air plus water at the bottom of the fuel.

I use the little Coleman funnel with a felt filter element when filling Coleman appliances. Occasionally you find surprising junk trapped on it.

I wouldn't save old fuel more than 2-3 years.

/ Is coleman camping fuel just plain gas? #10  
Ironically, I've found that once I'm prepaired for a 'disaster'... the disaster goes on to look for other lesser prepaired 'targets'. for instance.. after puying a pto generator.. I've never lost power for more than a few hours...

Soundguy

dmccarty said:
Hopefully in future outages all I have to do is cook some food.

A month or two ago we lost power at the house and we just happened to want soup. Put it on top of the wood stove to warm. :D As soon as we finished the lights turned on. :)

Later,
Dan