Type A automobile transmission fluid

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #1  

Volfandt

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota BX23, 1966 WheelHorse 856
Just purchased a 1966 L&G tractor w/an HST and I'm going to be changeing out all the fluids & filter soon. The owners/service manual calls for Type A automobile transmission fluid for the HST and to my knowledge I don't believe this is available anymore.
What would be the modern replacement/equivalent for type A automobile transmission fluid?

Thanks

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #2  
Type A automatic transmission fluid is all but obsolete these day's. The modern replacement for it would be Dexron III/Mercon. That's what I use in my vintage Chrysler and DeSoto cars. If I remember correctly I actually read a Chrysler manual dated in the 1980's that said to use Dexron when Type A fluid was called for. The current replacement for Dexron is Dexron III which is almost alway's found to be Mercon compatible to.

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid
Thanks DP.
Oddly enough, I've heard of some useing std 10w30 motor oil in these old HST's but I don't know what kind of longevity they're getting out of it and/or if it's bad for them in the long run.
Some of the newer HST's, such as some Tuff Torx models, do call for std 10w30 motor oil which I find surprising.
I would think that transmission fluid would be better and thats what I intend to use but the curious side of me wonders why newer HST's use motor oil.

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #4  
Don't know if it will work in a HST or not but,I stopped by the deere dealer to purchase some hyd oil for the rear drive motors on my deere zero- turn mower. The guy told me just to use 0w-40 mobil 1 synthetic oil in the unit .says that's what they use in them when they have those mowers in the shop for maintnce..

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #5  
My local:

car quest, napa, autozone, discount auto all carry Type a tranny fluid.

The 'jiffy' store across the street carries type A tranny fluid.

Soundguy

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #6  
The country store down the hill carries type A fluid.
so does the local Napa.
Ben

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid
FYI, I had a little time to kill today so I stopped in a local NAPA and PepBoys and looked in both transmission racks and neither had any Type A transmission fluid. Plenty of Type F, F+4, Mercon, Mercon III and Dexron & Dexron III but no Type A.
Also seen one that was good to class or Type H, whatever that indicates.

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #8  
Sounds like the parts stotes around here, no Type A to be found. That's why I use Dexron III / Mercon.

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #9  
Guess it pays to live in a podunk sometimes. Our hardware stores and auto stores carry lots of stuff that have dissappeared off 'big city' store shelves decades ago.

Soundguy

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #10  
I replaced the transmission fluid in 2 of my vehicle's power steering with synthetic. It would very likely be very compatible and would change less in viscosity with temperature than any of the dino types. Also, you could very likely double the change interval or only change it if a seal starts seeping a bit, like I've done on my transmissions and differentials on my cars and pickup.

Ralph