Water in my diesel fuel ?

/ Water in my diesel fuel ? #1  

DTCOOPER

Bronze Member
Tractor
02 CIH D33
Okay guys,
I have always been a lucky one, never to worry about water in my fuel or some such horrors..
I had a 5 gallon can of diesel, that had sat outside for a week or so. During which time I think it rained. I thought, heck, that little bitty spout, surely not enough rain got into it to hurt anything. :(
Well, I should have known when I poured some into the garden sprayer and sprayed a bursh pile to burn it, and it was VERY SLOW TO LIGHT AND BURN.
Well, I poured the rest into the tractor (Case D33) since it was very low on fuel. I took off across the barn yard, to go push up some more brush with the FEL, and about 100 yards away, the tractor idled down very very low, spit a little white smoke, and had zero power, despite the throttle position.

It sat there idling about 500 rpm for 5-10 seconds, then died.
Any attempt to start it anymore, was met with it "trying" to start, and occasional puffs of white smoke. I tried for 15 seconds 2 or 3 times, and just stopepd and went inside for the night as it was already getting dark..

NOW that I have done this, what are my options? Is there a simple additive I can add to the mix? Do I need to drain the fuel tank, lines, etc, and start over with clean fuel? Is there a simple solution, or does any effective solution require much mechanic"ing" and down time ?

Help fellas !!

Daniel

/ Water in my diesel fuel ? #2  
DTCOOPER said:
NOW that I have done this, what are my options? Is there a simple additive I can add to the mix? Do I need to drain the fuel tank, lines, etc, and start over with clean fuel? Is there a simple solution, or does any effective solution require much mechanic"ing" and down time ?

Help fellas !!

Daniel

Mornin Daniel,
Actually there is an additive you can add to your fuel tank to eliminate water problems. But at this point you need to drain your tank, change your fuel filter, and bleed your lines of any contaminated fuel. No simple solution at this point. Remember to fill your fuel filter with clean diesel fuel before installing and purge any air trapped in their before continuing.

Good Luck !

/ Water in my diesel fuel ?
not to sound like an idiot here... I am pretty mechanically inclined, and I normally maintain equipment very rigorously.. BUT
The Case D33 has always been so trouble free, I have just changed the oil, and topped off fluids since I've owned it..
I know on the right side, I can see the fuel "jar" along the route of the fuel lines. Is this the only fuel filter?? If so, should I add another one while I am doing this stuff ? Anyone ever drained the fuel on one of these Case D series, or NH boomer series tractors ? Again, I don't mean to sound like an idiot, I just have never messed with it except fuel and oil..

/ Water in my diesel fuel ? #4  
the "fuel jar" is probably your water seperator, take a look at it and see if you can see any water. the fuel will be sitting on top of the water in the jar and there should be a visable difference in the 2.

/ Water in my diesel fuel ? #5  
That sounds exactly like the problem I once had with my B7100 Kubota.:D Draining everything, changing the filter, and bleeding the lines is actually pretty simple after you've done it once.:rolleyes:

/ Water in my diesel fuel ? #6  
Hey, Daniel, welcome to TBN. I used to work with some guys from Celeste, Frognot, and Wolfe City. Good luck with the tractor.

99.99 % Of folks (even most around here) would look at you like you had 3 eyes, if you even mentioned Frognot, TX.. I happen to know where it is, and know a few folks who live there.. I see you're in "North Texas" now.. Where does this put you ?

/ Water in my diesel fuel ? #8  
DTCOOPER said:
99.99 % Of folks (even most around here) would look at you like you had 3 eyes, if you even mentioned Frognot, TX.. I happen to know where it is, and know a few folks who live there.. I see you're in "North Texas" now.. Where does this put you ?

Your name sounds familiar. Are you the guy that hijacked that airliner, extorted $200,000, and then bailed out over Oregon, or wherever, never to be heard from again?:confused:

IF that had been me, I would be paying someone ELSE to fix my water in fuel problem.. :)
I have heard that a bunch of times though.. In fact, I was but a glimmer in my mother's eye when DB jumped from the plane with all of that loot !!
I was born in 1974.. If I recall correctly, that happened in 71 or some such time frame.. :)

/ Water in my diesel fuel ? #10  
DTCOOPER said:

I'm in a little town called Rosser, half way between Kaufman and Ennis on highway 34. Just right down the road from you.:D