How to remove gasoline odor after spill...

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill... #1  

caddelma

Tractor
Lenar FS-274
I had a lapse in judgement, made a sharp turn, and knocked over my gas can in the trunk of my car spilling about 2 gal. of fuel ($$$ ouch). Most of it was absorbed by a carpet pad/mat which I removed, but the smell still lingers. Any ides on how to kill the smell? I thought about a few boxes of baking soda, but am not sure if there would be some kind of reaction sending me and the car glory-bound.

I thought I was ok driving it to work yesterday after having left the windows down and the trunk lid open all night, but after about 10 minutes the aroma was getting to me. Had all the windows down, the air blasting and my head half out the window. It is a "beater" so I am not too concerned, but need to do something about the smell and be semi safe about it.

It is a 1994 Chevy Corsica and I cared more about the price of the lost fuel than the car if that says anything ;)

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill... #2  
I know that a couple pounds of coffee (unbrewed) spread around will absorb odors.. Not sure of the gas smell though..

good luck

Brian

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill... #3  
go to a plumbing supply place and they have a product for oil , it is a powder that heating guys have to mask the smell of heating oil in a basement when they spill a littlle it works great or just let the car air out for a few more days

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill... #4  
get a razorblade knife and cut the fouled carpet out.

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill... #5  
The odor removal powder that bluetc30 is talking will probably work fine. I have used it before on diesel fuel and it did a good job.

If nothing else works, throw a match in the trunk. The smell should be gone in about 1 second. Well at least the gas smell will, you may have a strong charred car smell after that. :)

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill... #6  
Cat liter.

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill...
Thanks for all the replys. I thought about the match as it is not long for this world. The tranny is going (seems better after putting some snake oil in it, we'll see). The car was free (dad was tired of fixing it) and it beats driving my pickup to work everyday.

I removed the cover over the spare as some of the gas had drained down there, also did a number on the sealant they apply on the weld joints and made it run down into the spare tire well. Will leave the trunk lid partly open and will try the kitty litter or coffee first (have 2 cats and I don't like coffee, smells great taste awful IMO).

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill... #8  
caddelma said:
I don't like coffee, smells great taste awful IMO).

Glad I'm not the only one saying that. Thanks brother!

Airing won't cure the problem in a month! The oil smell powder sounds great, Never heard of it but will look into it as diesel smells less than neat to many people.

Pat

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill... #9  
Put cat litter in trunk and leave it open. Tomorrow you will have a brand new smell to get rid of:D

/ How to remove gasoline odor after spill...
BTDT said:
Put cat litter in trunk and leave it open. Tomorrow you will have a brand new smell to get rid of:D

Yea, especially with our two cats. The male loves being outside, his sister would rather stay inside and sleep all day.