How do I make it easier on my knee?

/ How do I make it easier on my knee? #11  
Yep - the absolute reason I purchased an HST, and will NEVER EVER go back to a clutch.

My knees would just swell up after a hard day on the old tractor.

/ How do I make it easier on my knee? #12  
Like some said change where the pivots are on the clutch. If you don't want to to go that way you can always trade for a DynaQPS (PowerShift / PowerShuttle combined).

/ How do I make it easier on my knee? #13  
Yea I am done with running myself, I'll stick to Biking, Swimming & Wt. Lifting. Upgrading to HST and Knee surgery sound fine if you have the disposable money to pay for it but most of us are working with what we have. I think a heavier spring or maybe the addition of a spring would be the simplest solution. Just be careful that you don't delete the free play at the top of the pedal. You don't want to burn the clutch out with the spring riding it all the time.

/ How do I make it easier on my knee? #14  
I used to race sports cars with a guy who had no left leg. He had a hand operated hydraulic clutch lever on the top of his gear shift. I never knew him to miss a shift. I don't know why it wouldn't work on a tractor.

/ How do I make it easier on my knee? #15  
Now there is an Idea, You could put a button on the side or top of the shift knob and use an electric servo to operate the clutch linkage. Feathering the clutch would be tough though

/ How do I make it easier on my knee? #16  
I have essentially a "bionic" right leg- reconstructed knee and 2 pins, 6 screws, 1 plate, and some wire in my ankle. Luckily for me I have enough range of motion that I can operate the HST foot pedal. I have not "blown" anything out in my left leg yet (but I eventually will according to the "professionals") so I can easily operate the clutch at this time. After years of running a geared tractor I know that I really do need an HST type transmission at this time and in the event I physically deteriorate further in the future. "Aging ain't for sissies" and "you do not age gracefully nor well" are two gifts (ie quotes) expressed to me by former clients. Jay

/ How do I make it easier on my knee? #18  
redlevel:

Not in thunderstorms; but T storms do affect the radio reception my ankle gets :D. I will set off airport security metal detectors on ocassion :eek:. Jay

/ How do I make it easier on my knee? #19  
Timber said:
Now there is an Idea, You could put a button on the side or top of the shift knob and use an electric servo to operate the clutch linkage. Feathering the clutch would be tough though
The hydraulic clutch on the RX-7 was run with a foot pedal and easy to modulate. A hand lever could do the same, I would think.

/ How do I make it easier on my knee? #20  
I loved the new M series Kubota but bought a L 5240 hst for that same reason (bad knees). I am tall and on the new 40 series they moved the hst ped forward so it is really comfortable. Last pm a buddy cam by in an old 66 Austin Healy and the third time I pressed the clutch down I thought my knee was going to come off...............so hst for me..........

Thanks