Tires Widening rear tires as much as possible

/ Widening rear tires as much as possible #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
We just got a International 886. Seems it once might have had dual rears as the rear axel extends far out beyond the actual rear tire.

I was cutting one of the hills the other day and although I was probably 95.0582045% safe, I still had a nervous twinge inside me when I was turning on the hill. Our old tractor (IH 444) NEVER had that same feeling, then again, it's a lot lower to the ground.

So, I've been thinking about spreading the rear wheels. As long as they are firmly attached to the axel, is it possible to have them TOO far spread? Meaning, is it more stress on the axel to have them spread instead of putting duals on?

If I can safely spread the rear wheels as wide as possible, would I "need" to then widen the front wheels as far as possible too or would the rears typically be enough?

We've got 2 torn up fence gates to drive this through however, father in law is getting a 10' mower so I'm going to have to take the gates down anyway. Because of that, I don't see widening the rears being ANY kind of issue anywhere.

If I do it, do I simply jack the back up, loosen the bolts and slide it out, retighten bolts and done?

/ Widening rear tires as much as possible #2  
Richard said:
We just got a International 886. Seems it once might have had dual rears as the rear axel extends far out beyond the actual rear tire.

So, I've been thinking about spreading the rear wheels. As long as they are firmly attached to the axel, is it possible to have them TOO far spread? Meaning, is it more stress on the axel to have them spread instead of putting duals on?

If I can safely spread the rear wheels as wide as possible, would I "need" to then widen the front wheels as far as possible too or would the rears typically be enough?

If I do it, do I simply jack the back up, loosen the bolts and slide it out, retighten bolts and done?

Afternoon Richard,
Yes you can jack it up and loosen the bolts but if the rim hasnt been moved in awhile it may be a bear to get the thing to move ! I would suggest some penetrating oil on the bolts and also clean up the axle to where you want to move the rim to ! If the tractor had duals in the past, it sounds like your rims may be dished side in. If thats the case you might think about swapping the tires from one side to the other to have the dish side out.

/ Widening rear tires as much as possible #3  
Richard,
One additional suggestion, the guys over on the Farmall board on YT Tractors deal with that stuff everyday. They might have some additional suggestions !

/ Widening rear tires as much as possible #4  
As long as your front wheels are within the track of your rear tires you shoudl be fine. You actually don't have to move them at all if you really don't want to but it will seem more stable if they are wider as well. I have spent lots of hours in a 986 where the duals were pulled off to fit through rows of trees and it seems as if the tractor is very unstable when in fact it is not near as bad as you think or feel it is. Duals do help but unless you are on some really steep hillsides or doing heavy tillage or in very muddy conditions I wouldn't bother with them.