Tranny driven vs. independent pto?

/ Tranny driven vs. independent pto? #1  

Iowa Boy

Tractor
John Deere LT180
Some of the new compact tractors that I have been looking at have a transmission driven PTO (New Holland), and some have an independent PTO (Deere). I know that mechanically the difference is that one requires the clutch and the other is hydrolic and does not require a clutch.

What difference does it make when operating the tractor? Most of my PTO work will be rotary cutting and eventually finish mowing. Should it make a difference to me if the PTO is tranny driven or independent? Is one better or worse than the other?

Joe

/ Tranny driven vs. independent pto? #2  
If it is truly a transmission driven PTO then the brush mower will push the tractor even if the clutch is disengaged. The tractor will need an overrunning clutch is inside the tractor or one is added to the back to prevent this. A tractor with an independent PTO isn't affected by the mower. You can turn around, slow down or even turn the PTO on and off without affecting the drivability of the tractor in any way.
If you are going to do a lot of brush mowing, the Independent PTO is the way to go.

/ Tranny driven vs. independent pto? #3  
I'm pretty sure all the new tractors with a transmission driven PTO have an over running clutch already so the mower pushing the tractor isn't a problem. My B7410 is tranny driven... for what little work I do it isn't a problem. The worst part of it to me is that precision work is harder. An example.. if you have one little spot of weeds you want to knock down with your cutter. Those weeds might be close to something important that shouldn't be run into... with the tranny driven PTO your cutter isn't turning until your tractor is moving and that makes it a bit tough. To do such tasks you would likely have to put it in the lowest gear just to keep your speed down. And your already moving the tractor before the cutter is up to proper RPM... so it's not like you have the cutter up and running and then just ease off the clutch to get into position... you have to do it all at once.

The independent PTO is definately easier... but the tractors that have options like that also carry a higher price tag. To me it isn't a problem... but I also do very little PTO work.

I hope that explains it some.

/ Tranny driven vs. independent pto?
The price was actually the thing that threw me. New Holland tractors seem to be priced higher, at least around here, than the comparable competitors, but it is the New Hollands that are shown as having a transmission driven PTO.

Joe

/ Tranny driven vs. independent pto? #5  
In most cases you will want an independant PTO. I can only think of one PTO implement we use often (it is a big core aerator, if anyone cares) where we want the PTO to slow down when the tractor does. Mostly it is nice to have the PTO run fast regardless of tractor speed.

/ Tranny driven vs. independent pto? #6  
A friend's Ford compact tractor, pre New Holland, has a hydro drive and still has a clutch. The clutch is two stage. Push in a little and the tractor drive is disconnected, but the PTO still runs. Push in the rest of the way and the PTO is disconnected as well as the tractor drive.

I guess this was an intermediary stage before hydro drives were fully developed.

/ Tranny driven vs. independent pto? #7  
chrisjbell said:
In most cases you will want an independant PTO. I can only think of one PTO implement we use often (it is a big core aerator, if anyone cares) where we want the PTO to slow down when the tractor does. Mostly it is nice to have the PTO run fast regardless of tractor speed.
In the case of your core aerator, I think you could cut down the engine rpm with the independent PTO and get the same results? The tractor slows down and so does the PTO rpm.

/ Tranny driven vs. independent pto? #8  
You are thinking of a ground driven PTO.. Which is yet another version of pto available.

To the original poster... NH does indeed make independent pto's, as well as live via 2-stage clutch units.. etc.

I have or have had both styles.

soundguy

chrisjbell said: