MMM with no port

/ MMM with no port #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
At this time, I have a JD LT166 Lawn tractor for lawn mowing. The thing I like about it the most (other than it's remarkable dependability) is that the mowing deck (42" freedon deck) is a mulching deck only. It does not have an expulsion port on either side. This means as I am mowing around obstacles, that I can use either side of the mower and mow right up to the object (no port gets in the way). It is also it's a very good mulcher since the deck is formed only for that purpose.

So my question is, are there any MMM decks for small CUTS (like JD4110 I have now) or SUBCUTs that work this way, or is this deck unique? I haven't been able to find one.

I would like to reduce my tractor inventory to one tractor, but my LT166 doesn't have a BH attachement, FEL attachement, or a three point hitch, and I can't seem to find a subcut or small cut that has a deck with this terrific feature on any available MMM. Now that I've used this deck for 11 years, I really can't imagine mowing without it.

Cliff

/ MMM with no port #2  
It's funny you bring this up now.

I don't have answers to any of your questions, sorry; but I was just thinking yesterday about how a MMM could be a zero clearance on both sides. The only thing I came up with was a rear discharge under the axle and up to a bagger. The bagger was stuck in my head, though.

I don't know if there is anything like that out on the market, but there really should be.

/ MMM with no port #3  
Get the mulch kit for whatever deck you want. The kit includes the baffles necessary for mulching and covers the discharge port with a blank. Then simply take off the discharge cover and you end up with a cutting deck that has nothing but rounded sides. My 2305 mulches like it was designed explicitly for that reason.

/ MMM with no port
VABlue said:
Get the mulch kit for whatever deck you want. The kit includes the baffles necessary for mulching and covers the discharge port with a blank. Then simply take off the discharge cover and you end up with a cutting deck that has nothing but rounded sides. My 2305 mulches like it was designed explicitly for that reason.

Do you have a picture of that? It seems to me that the decks have a squared-off port that's part of the deck itself that sticks out beyond the blades unless you get a torch and cut the extra metal off. Are you saying that on the 2305 the whole port is removed and you're just left with a hole in the rounded deck that's then sealed by the blank? If so, I guess that wasn't obvious to me.

Cliff

/ MMM with no port #5  
I have a rear-discharge on my New Holland. It isn't really considered a mulcher, but some have referred to it that way. It does a pretty good job of dispersing the clippings so you don't have a wind row effect. It is nice being able to come up to something and not have to worry about which side of the tractor you are cutting on. Also nice to not have to worry about throwing things out the side of the tractor.

/ MMM with no port #6  
No pictures until the weekend because I'm out of town on a business trip. The deck itself is rounded, only the rubber (or plastic) safety cover sticks out from the deck. With the mulch kit you can pull that cover off (held on by wingnuts) and the blank covers up the deck opening. The end result is a rounded deck edge that allows you to drive right up on obstacles no matter what side they're on - just like jwstewar does.

You will need to change blades because the standard blades have a different shape. Between the mulch blades and the baffles you install under the deck, a much larger vacuum is created. The vacuum is what pulls the grass up into the blades and keeps it there until its mulched to completion.

/ MMM with no port
Thanks, VABlue. I guess I need a trip to the Deere dealer. I was under the impression that the port was metal with just a little plastic or rubber deflector. I will look again.

Cliff

/ MMM with no port #8  
Cliff, here's the pics... Sorry it took so long to get them posted. I haven't taken off the deflector, but you get the idea.:) (The pics are blurry! I'll have to chastise the girl for that, she has pride in her camera work)... :D

Attachments

• JD.jpg
    JD.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 135
  • JD2.jpg
    JD2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 131
   / MMM with no port
Thank you for posting the pictures. Yes, this is what I had in mind. Which deck is that, by the way? Is it the 54"

Cliff

/ MMM with no port #10  
Yup, the 54". My yard is small so I didn't think I needed anything larger. But I've learned since then! What did I learn, you ask? I learned that the flasher lights sound like playing cards in a bicycle tire when trying to cut under the deck. I also learned that the Hughesnet dish gongs like a bell when the ROPS knocks into it while cutting close to the stanchion. The 62" deck might have been a better option... :)