SPRAYER CALIBRATION

/ SPRAYER CALIBRATION #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I'm getting a Zimmerman 55 gal 3-pt sprayer soon. I want to spray about 15 gallons per acre for glyphosate. Have to calibrate according to ground speed vs PTO speed (pressure). It throws a 25 foot spray pattern. I figured 15 gallons should last me about 1/3 of a mile to provide coverage of one acre. Since the ground I'll be spraying is kinda uneven, I guess I'll have to see what speed I can comfortably travel carrying the 600 pound load using GPS. If I travel at that speed while spraying water, I'll have to adjust PTO speed so that 15 gal lasts for 1/3 mile. Any easier way to do this??

/ SPRAYER CALIBRATION #2  
Most people use, 1.) pump pressure, 2.) nozzle type size and 3.) ground speed to determine gallons per acre. PTO speed stays constant 540. The sprayer should come with a manual explaining at what ground speed and pressure you should use to obtain a specific gallon number per acre.

/ SPRAYER CALIBRATION #3  
Collect how much liquid comes out in one minute at a known pressure setting (some pumps can be adjusted). If your target is 15 gpa, that will be 1.102 oz per foot. You can calulate your Feet per minute that you'll have to go (which can be converted to miles per hour, mph).

Example: Lets work backwards (I'm dyslexic, I like it this way), say you want to travel at 3 mph = 264 ft/min. and you want to put out 1.102 oz/ft so you need to collect 291 oz/min. Depending on what you collect, work the other way to find out what speed you need.

Since I work better with a picture, I'll post one of my calculations...

Last edited:
   / SPRAYER CALIBRATION #4  
Gator6x4 said:
Most people use, 1.) pump pressure, 2.) nozzle type size and 3.) ground speed to determine gallons per acre. PTO speed stays constant 540. The sprayer should come with a manual explaining at what ground speed and pressure you should use to obtain a specific gallon number per acre.
Yes, this is correct. You should get a guide from the manufacturer of the nozzle telling you everything you need to know.

/ SPRAYER CALIBRATION
Thanks. That sounds much easier than doing 1/3 mile test runs with water.