Which boom pole for L2800?

/ Which boom pole for L2800? #1  

familyman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800HST
There have been several occasions where I have had to skid trees across a property and cut them up, and in the past I've simply used chain . My friend has the opportunity to clear a fair number of big (60-80') trees off someones yard and I'd like to use my tractor to help (and obtain alot of free firewood in the process). I've seen posts from members using a boom pole for this purpose, and would like to get some recommendations. I prefer to buy better quality/heavier built attachments.

/ Which boom pole for L2800? #2  
The size of your tractor will likely be the limiting factor.. not the boom pole. I have a cheap 49$ TSC boom pole.. A the end of it I could make a 33hp diesel front end come up if I had enough load weight... even thought the pole was rated for 1000# only..

Soundguy

/ Which boom pole for L2800?
The one TSC lists now is more expensive and only rated for 500lbs. I'll have to find another.

/ Which boom pole for L2800? #4  
You do realize that you can always lift from the mid point.. some have a hook mid way up for just that..

Be carefull skidding logs... SCUT and UT weren't specifically designed for that.. keep your whits about you.

Soundguy

I've never used a boom pole before, thanks for the info about the mid-point. (Now to find some whits)

/ Which boom pole for L2800? #6  
Thanks for those. I'm going to look at a Mahindra pole next week, it looks to be more substantial than the TSC unit. That tool could be real handy.

Maybe, this boom pole!!

Got it from local fabricator and trailer builder, Ringo Hill Utility Trailers, Farm Equipment, and Truck Bodies.
1,000 lb. version, $99.00. The online catalogue hasn't been updated for prices (this item is listed online for $70, which is no longer correct), but compared to the boom pole at TSC (500 lbs. rated, $150+) this is a real bargain.
I tested it by lifting my 800 lb. boxblade, which was apparently not a challenge.

100_0253.jpg

100_0256.jpg

/ Which boom pole for L2800? #9  
Very nice. Thanks for the pics. I may have to look into this. What do you use as the front ballast?

The front-end loader didn't show in the pic, but you bring up a good point. I know I'll need weights in the near future, but haven't looked into it yet.