Independent PTO vs Live PTO

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO #1  

TBone

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L-2501 HST
I understand the difference but I can't decide which one I like better. My new Kubota M4900 has independent and I haven't had a chance to try it yet. For rotary cutting (which I mostly do) which one is best??

I have gotten accustomed to keeping my foot close to the clutch with live pto and can stop the pto in a couple of seconds if I get on something I shouldn't. I'm not sure I will be as fast to reach the independent pto lever.

Has anyone out there had both? Which one do you prefer? Which one is safest?

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO #2  
My Landtrac has both Live and Indepenent PTO settings. I like the independent setting as I can clutch to stop or reverse and still have the brush hog up at full steam. I guess the live setting would be a little safer in that you can hit the clutch to disable the PTO instead of turning it off. Mine is controled by a switch right beside the ignition switch so it is easy to access.

Ed King

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO #3  
T-bone,
My little 2000 has live power and it has good points and bad. In heavier grass when it bogs down I have to down shift. when I do that then machine sometimes binds up. With the independant I keep booing along. I just don't like bogging down in tricky places. Once you get used to using the lever I'm sure it will become second nature just like engaging the clutch.

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO #4  
My zetor has live and my ford has ind. pto. I prefer the ind. pto. I find it much easier and more accurate than live. But you should use what you are more comfortable with. as for safest I would have to say ind. pto.

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO #5  
Would you please make a simple explanation as to the difference?

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO #6  
Tinmann,
To my knowledge there are 3 different PTO styles. On the older models the PTO was hooked directly to the transmission, making the PTO speed dependant on tractor speed (non-live PTO). Live PTO is independant of the tractor speed, but is controled with the tractor cluch pedal, if you press the clutch half way, the tractor stops moving, but the PTO still runs, pushing the clutch all the way stops the PTO as well. Independant PTO runs all the time, regardles of the clucth.

Ed King

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO #7  
<font color=blue>Independant PTO runs all the time</font color=blue>

You did mean "all the time" the lever is in the "on" position, didn't you?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Usually a separate hydraulically operated clutch that engages when you move the lever to the "on" position and disengages when you move it to the "off" position regardless of engine speed, gear selection, or clutch position.

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO #8  
You got it Bird. I thought of that after I posted, just to lazy to go back and edit.

Ed King

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO #9  
Basically two PTO flavors… Live and Non-live…

Non-Live- When tractor movement stops… so does the PTO {tractor must be in motion to work}

Live- When tractor movement stops… PTO will continue to function {tractor can be stopped and still work}

Live PTO will always give you more flexibility, and especially shines when mowing, baling hay, brush cutting/hogging, or running any stationary PTO driven equipment…

Independent PTO is a derivative of Live PTO… {making PTO engagement even easier…}

There is no such thing as a safe PTO... all PTO's are dangerous if improperly used... <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=safety&Number=31618&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1>PTO Safety Tips (see attachment)...</A>

Without reinventing the wheel… one of the better Live/Independent PTO explanations is at this site:
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorsmart.com/main/Tractor%20Power%20Take%20Off%20Types.htm> TractorSmart… Power Take Off School</A>

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Independent PTO vs Live PTO
Thanks for all of the replies and information. As usual John had an excellent article "Power Take Off School". I learned a lot of things that I didn't know, especially on independent pto.

THANKS ALL!

TBone