Yet another use for the FEL

/ Yet another use for the FEL #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
Coming home from the family reunion today, my Mom had me stop by her house and pick up a bunch of aluminum cans. I like to have the cans crushed so as to minimize the storage area they take up until I can take them to the recycler to cash them in.

I made a pile and then went at it with the FEL. I was surprised at how much weight a bunch of cans will hold up. I had to use a combination of driving over them and smashing them with the FEL. It was still faster than stomping on all of them though.

Attachments

• Cans Before.JPG
    Cans Before.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 660
  • Cans After.JPG
    Cans After.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 665
   / Yet another use for the FEL #2  
Might be a new project. Adapt/build something like a log splitter to crush cans (use ram to compact cans into a tube or box). But with the price of fuel, that might eat up your profits.

/ Yet another use for the FEL #4  
Are these deposit cans or just turn in for aluminum cans? Around here cans have to be near perfect to turn them in.

Andy

/ Yet another use for the FEL
MSWoodlot said:
Was the original post a commercial for Diet Pepsi? :D

MSWoodlot

Like I said...I got them from my Mom's house. Apparently she's on a diet Pepsi kick.

/ Yet another use for the FEL
AndyMA said:
Are these deposit cans or just turn in for aluminum cans? Around here cans have to be near perfect to turn them in.

Andy

These are just "turn in for aluminum" cans. Mostly they are just "keep them out of the garbage" cans that my son collects to get some money to buy toys. Mom and Dad still burn their garbage in barrels behind their house. If they can keep the glass and metal out of the barrels, they can go a lot longer between dumps.

/ Yet another use for the FEL #7  
Iplayfarmer said:
Coming home from the family reunion today, my Mom had me stop by her house and pick up a bunch of aluminum cans. I like to have the cans crushed so as to minimize the storage area they take up until I can take them to the recycler to cash them in.

I made a pile and then went at it with the FEL. I was surprised at how much weight a bunch of cans will hold up. I had to use a combination of driving over them and smashing them with the FEL. It was still faster than stomping on all of them though.
Been there done that last summer.

/ Yet another use for the FEL #8  
Buy her a wall mounted can crusher. It's no big chore if you do them one at a time as they're used. Take up less room waiting for you to pick them up, too.

/ Yet another use for the FEL #10  
I wouldn't make a habit of driving over them. If the things fold just the right way, they can form a point and puncture a tire, which would put a serious dent in your recycling profits.