Tires Filled front tires...

/ Filled front tires... #12  
SPYDERLK said:
Quote Farmwithjunk: You'll get an explaination from some that fluid in front wheels (or rear for that matter) is "unsprung weight" and doesn't stress bearings, axles, steering components, ect. But look at it from a simple logic standpoint. Which would put more strain on a bearing? A 75lb wheel/tire assembly bouncing around? OR, a 125lb wheel assembly?

Actually, more strain on the bearings from that 50# added to the tractor front than to the wheels. The tractor suspension is ridgid so there really is no sprung/unsprung distinction. In reality the tires are all the suspension you have. When you fill them you lose some of this -a negative- but offset somewhat by the + of not carrying all your traction weight on the bearing. Filled tires would be great for loader work since the tires will be less compressible, but it will be necessary to take it easier on bumps with a buckload to reduce the higher impulse loads on the bearings.
larry

I agree, but my point was, some people will tell you that fluid filled tires add NO stress to wheel bearings and such. That simply is not true.

/ Filled front tires... #13  
Farmwithjunk said:
I agree, but my point was, some people will tell you that fluid filled tires add NO stress to wheel bearings and such. That simply is not true.
Yes, I would quibble with the NO stress statement too.
larry

/ Filled front tires... #14  
Good, bad or otherwise I do not know.:confused: What I do know is that I tried the cast iron route 1st and yes it did help (installed 4 sets of rear wheel weights for a total of about 600lbs) but it was not enough. Then added about 1500lbs in fluid to the front & rear tires. Now this made a huge difference :D and I can now take full advantage of the power that is available to me. The tractor is much more stable and to me it even rides better.

These are just my experiences, yours may vary.:)

/ Filled front tires... #15  
I've been around the site for a little while. I haven't even visited some of the forums, much less read all the posts. Still, I think I've read quite a few.

I've never encountered any reference to sprung or unsprung weight here prior to this. The term arises from the automotive world where reducing the amount of unsprung weight (actually mass would the concern, I think) is a much sought after ideal to improve the handling characteristics of the vehicle. I never thought of it with regard to tractors since the axles are rigidly attached to the vehicle and any suspension action comes from the tires flexing.

/ Filled front tires... #16  
I'm getting my fronts filled with foam on my B7800. This is not styrofoam here, this stuff is HEAVY. Once cured it's basically a soft rubber. It will flex and does not appreciately make the ride rougher. My cost is going to be $110.00 per tire and it adds 55 lbs to each tire, like I said it's not styrofoam :D.

You'll lose the tractor for 48 hours (that's how long this stuff takes to cure). The front end loader is suppose to support 1000+ lbs, so I doubt 50 lbs or so to the tires are going to hurt anything. When it's time to remove and replace the tire (probably not in my lifetime for my machine anyways, minimal useage and indoor storage) then the tire is simply cut off the rim. The foam comes right out by cutting on one side and just pulling it off.

I've already had two front flat tires so enough is enough for me. The back tires would be $$$$$ to do as this stuff is sold by the pound, so I'm not going to bother to do them anytime soon and as an earlier poster stated, front tires go flat more often.

/ Filled front tires... #17  
I too have my fronts filled. I do a fair amount of fel work and having the fronts filled has come in handy not squishing down like they used to. I have also noticed significant gain in overall traction and stability. I'm not nearly as concerned about the small amount of added stress or wear to the bearings as I am with getting as much stability and traction. In my case, every little bit helps.

/ Filled front tires... #18  
I filled my fronts soon after I got the tractor, makes it stay closer to the trailer when I load it. I am going to find some more weight to put up front and maybe keep the tires on the trailer:D :D ( my old, now spare, trailer is 6'6" wide the tractor is 6' not much room for error.)

/ Filled front tires... #19  
A timely thread for me. I took my loader off for the first time to cut this weekend. Using the RFM was fine but I popped a few wheelies with brush hog. I called the dealer and he said "just fill your front tires".

Is this something I can do on my own or should I take it somewhere to have them filled?

The dealer said I should have around 200# on the front of the tractor - does that seem about right?

/ Filled front tires... #20  
IMHO I find it hard to believe that 50 - 75 pounds of fluid in the front tires of a tractor designed to carry a loaded FEL would cause the bearings much harm, in part because the bearings aren't carrying that weight. With a heavily loader FEL without enough rear ballast the front spindles carry the entire tractor weight & the FEL load, and adding rear ballast brings the rear down to earth but removes very little weight from the front spindles / bearings. Weighted front tires may increase lateral loading on the front wheel & spindle bearings but again much less than turning with a loaded FEL. MikeD74T