Removing a stump

/ Removing a stump #1  

RedDog

Platinum Member
Tractor
Caterpillar 277
Starting vacation this week, I decided it was time to remove the Locust stump close to the house. It sure would have been nice to have a backhoe!!

I have a smaller bucket for the front end loader that I was using to dig at the roots. After thinking that I had dug around it enough, I decided to try to push on it. :( It wouldn't budge. I dug some more and tried pushing it again. :( Same result.

Digging around the stump more, plus hooking my old 86 Chevy K30 with my tractor, the stump still did not budge!! :mad: I asked my wife if it had moved at all, she said no.

I decided to leave the truck hooked to the stump with the chain tight. I did this to see if the stump would move at all with me pushing on it with the tractor.

Finally I was starting to see the chain drop towards the ground!! :) And the rest is history. :D

Attachments

• DSC00082.JPG
    DSC00082.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 672
  • DSC00084.JPG
    DSC00084.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 576
  • DSC00085.JPG
    DSC00085.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC00088.JPG
    DSC00088.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC00110.JPG
    DSC00110.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 580
   / Removing a stump #2  
You call that little weed a stump?????

;)

Ha yeah without a BH that would be chore, I've taken out about two dozen now with mine. The spruce and jackpines pop right out with the loader, but the birch and poplar always seem to have some big tap root that seems to go straight down but the BH makes short work of them. I don't have anything as big as you have on my lot!

Cheers

/ Removing a stump #3  
Nice job, especially when using the tools on hand!

First stump I EVER took out... I had rented a Kubota L-35. Had never used a hoe before and was going to learn out in the field by the pond. Then I figured, why waste that time/energy when I can learn on the stump at hand?

The stump was about 24" diamater at the ground and took me something like three hours to get out. This was continuous work, as well as the learning curve I had.

Was proud as a peacock at my first exumation!!

/ Removing a stump #4  
I need to get a compact bucket like that. Bet that will do a lot more of the strenous work than the 80 something inch thing on the front of mine.

/ Removing a stump
bucmeister said:
I need to get a compact bucket like that. Bet that will do a lot more of the strenous work than the 80 something inch thing on the front of mine.

The bucket is very nice for digging trenches. My only downfall is the bottom lip on the bucket is longer than the bottom lip on my 84" bucket, thus not being able to curl with more force. I can curl more with the 84" bucket.

When you do not have a backhoe, it is nice!

/ Removing a stump #6  
Great pics RedDog. I have a Markham stump bucket, and it's very handy. I have found that pine trees have very long tap roots and are hard to tackle, but broadleafs are not so bad since most of their roots spread out. The bucket is great for transplanting shrubs.