Automatic Draft & Position?

/ Automatic Draft & Position? #11  
rixtory said:
So Lemme ask this please. I thought draught control (sorry, I am British and you spell it wrong :)) controls the down presure on the 3PH.

So if it controls the depth due to load control, what provides the down pressure? As when pulling a 6 or 8 bottom plow and you get to the edge of row, raise it and turn the tractor for teh next pass, you drop the 3PH and the plow not onlyhits the ground but then digs into the ground for the next set of furrows, does a 3PH on larger tractors have down control? I thought they only had up control and the weight of the implement was the down and then draught drove it into the ground.
Thanks.

There is no down pressure on a 3 point hitch that I am aware of.

/ Automatic Draft & Position?
kevinj said:
There is no down pressure on a 3 point hitch that I am aware of.

My neighbors David Brown 990 has down pressure on the 3pt, so it does exist in the tractor world. I've never seen it listed as a feature on CUT type tractors though.

/ Automatic Draft & Position? #13  
[I thought they only had up control and the weight of the implement was the down and then draught drove it into the ground./QUOTE]

The weight of the implement is the down all right, but draught isn't what drives it into the ground. Only the weight of the plows and/or their angle is what drives them down into the ground. With disk plows, their weight is about it, but with turning plows or middle busters the more they are tilted forward, the more the point of the plow points downward, and the deeper they go before reaching a point at which they are level.

/ Automatic Draft & Position? #14  
I've been playing with my draft control using my box blade and landscape rake. Helps me to make flat surfaces and such.

/ Automatic Draft & Position? #15  
Bird is right on. There is no down-pressure on draft (or draught) control. It only raises the implement when the load is too great either from the implement being too deep or the ground conditions being too hard or both. The down "pressure" is from the weight of the implement and/or the angle of the shares digging into the ground.