I finally pulled the trigger...

/ I finally pulled the trigger... #1  

GrowingRocks

Tractor
Case IH DX25E
After a week out of town on a business trip, I got home to grass up to my knees. After 6 and a half hours on the Craftsman garden tractor, I decided I had enough...

Been thinking about a subcompact for a while, so I had driven almost everything that was close. The Deere was my favorite, but it was pretty expensive. :eek: The Kubota was OK, but didn't feel quite right. :cool: I liked the New Holland, but the salesman ignored me twice and was rude my third trip, so I nixed the color blue off of my list. :rolleyes: I was about to settle for one of those two when I decided to hop in the pickup for a trip to the neighboring town who has a Case dealer.

I got there and was speaking with a salesman who was more than helpful. Not only did he let me drive it around the yard like the rest, but he asked if I wanted to give it a whirl mowing. I asked where his thickest grass was and he pointed to a pasture that hadn't been mowed in quite some time with grass about waist high. The DX25E cut was clean, I could cut as fast as the tractor would run in low gear. It wasn't until I was leaving and got the salesman's card and found he was actually the owner. Vestal Equipment is a small family owned dealer that has been around for 60 years, and judging by how I was treated, I'll probably continue to do business with them.

I'm taking delivery in a few hours! :D I am getting the tractor, MMM, and FEL to start with, but am going to add a box blade, rotary mower, and trailer before the end of the summer. It has the ag tires, but they didn't seem too rough on the terrain I drove it in, and my yard isn't exactly golf course material... :cool:

I have to admit that it is quite a bit smaller than the tractors I grew up with. (Dad has three deeres - a 4020, a 4440, and a 9200) However, out here in the Ozarks, I won't quite have the same needs he does with 2500 acres of farmland in Western KS. ;)

Anyway, I found this forum while researching tractors last week and look forward to meeting everyone, regardless of the color of your hood.

/ I finally pulled the trigger... #2  
Congratulations

I just got my first one earlier in the year too.

Makes you wonder why you didn't buy one years ago doesn't it?:D

M.D.

/ I finally pulled the trigger... #3  
Growingrocks,

Congrats on the new tractor!!! Even if it is "red" ;) You'll get years of enjoyment and practical use out of it. You'll also love TBN as it has lots of folks on here who are more than happy to share their knowledge & experiences.

Make sure to post pictures when you get your DX. There's no such thing as "too many pictures" on TBN :D

/ I finally pulled the trigger...
Knight9 said:
Growingrocks,

Make sure to post pictures when you get your DX. There's no such thing as "too many pictures" on TBN :D

Definitely will do... Kind of funny to think about, but my first brand new vehicle isn't a car... it's a tractor! :D

/ I finally pulled the trigger... #5  
I suppose I've been here long enough now to say welcome to TBN...although I still feel like the new guy. My tractor was also the first time I've bought new. You picked a great screen name...sometimes we probably all feel that way.

/ I finally pulled the trigger... #6  
GrowingRocks:

Welcome to TBN :D! Congradulations on your brand new tractor :). Use it well and operate it safely. Now we can all help you spend your money :cool:. Jay

/ I finally pulled the trigger... #7  
Growing Rocks

Welcome! I agree with tuolumne, great screen name, wish I had thought it up but I'm not that imaginative:rolleyes: . Bought my tractor new at the end of February and cannot believe how useful it is. Even more now that a toothbar and single ripper have been added. Sure helps digging rocks.

/ I finally pulled the trigger... #8  
Good for you! And don't you wish New Holland would get a copy of this thread.

/ I finally pulled the trigger...
Finally got around to some pictures. It was delivered a little before 5PM yesterday, and I have already added two "must-have attachments." After a little dirt work last night, I decided I could use a ballast, so I bought a 4' box blade from the Mahindra dealer up the road. Then, after a little more thought, I decided that I wanted to have a quick hitch for it, so I picked up the SpeeCo Class 1 from Orschelns for $180, which I thought was pretty good.

The quick-hitch works wonderful, although I had to make a small "adjustment" to the box blade's top mount. (by adjustment, I mean that I got out the cutting wheel and removed about an inch on the corner of the cross-members)

Other than the new attachments, I found that my 6 hour mowing job became closer to 2 hours. :D I also found out that on my hills, it is not wise to let the tank get below 1/2. :eek: I also determined the filling the fuel tank from a 2 gallon can is very messy. :mad: I'm going to have to find a better way to pump fuel...

Now I just need to find a good deal on a bush hog... ;)

DX25E-1.jpg

DX25E-2.jpg

/ I finally pulled the trigger... #10  
Aren't those Case tractors essentially NH's painted red? How much did that beauty cost? How much was the NH?