Penny wise, pound foolish

/ Penny wise, pound foolish #11  
I see the idiot population is large yet somehow manages to afford a bit of acreage. ???

I wouldn't be cutting these people special deals, personally, especially when your standard rate is still competitive if not low. I don't sell mowing services but I know when I bought them in the past that I would expect to pay more for a one-time mow of an overgrown lawn than a routine mowing by the same company. Call me crazy. And that's without all the added dangers to your equipment of field mowing in 3-4' grass and weeds.

/ Penny wise, pound foolish #12  
Yep.. in the horse community I live in.. you see people trying to take care of 2-3-5 ac lawns with rider mowers.

The neighbor across from me uses a jd rider. Inthe last 10ys since I've been here.. he's on his 3rd one. Neighbor in front of me is on his 2nd.. but also bought a scut jd .. and now only mows with it.. started with a no-name.. changed to a huskie.. then eventually got the jd scut.

I just brushog mine ( course now the animals are keeping it down since Fl has been in a drought for 2 ys..

Soundguy

RoyJackson said:
Yeah, they'll be tearing those mowers up soon enough...

/ Penny wise, pound foolish #13  
Z-Michigan said:
I see the idiot population is large yet somehow manages to afford a bit of acreage. ???

I wouldn't be cutting these people special deals, personally, especially when your standard rate is still competitive if not low. I don't sell mowing services but I know when I bought them in the past that I would expect to pay more for a one-time mow of an overgrown lawn than a routine mowing by the same company. Call me crazy. And that's without all the added dangers to your equipment of field mowing in 3-4' grass and weeds.

We've mowed this particular lot over 20 times now. No "unknowns" to speak of. I try to keep my word. I told him $400 and I meant $400. Don't think for a second I won't make a big deal of the fact that I billed $400 after being offered $500 to keep him from getting fined though. I'll bank that "favor" back until a later day. Through the years, I've dealt with "nuts" enough to let their raving and ranting go in one ear and out the other. I do what I say and don't impose "punitive damage charges". But NEXT TIME a price increase is needed, I factor in past history.

"Going rate" around these parts for mowing acreage is hourly based on anything under 10 acres. $1.25 to $1.50 per hp of tractor per hour as a rule of thumb. Over 10 acres and you'll run in to "per acre" charges of $20 to $28 for the guys who stay busy. Over 25 acres and it drops to $18 to $20 per acre. Most of those jobs are done with equipment capable of 5 to 7 acres per hour typically. Most mowing contractors here are adding a "trip charge" for jobs under $250. I simply bill time from home or previous job to completion of job.

From what I can tell, this is one of the cheapest parts of the country to have your field mowed.

/ Penny wise, pound foolish #14  
LoneCowboy said:
....realize it already needs to be mowed again (we already did it once, fertilizer is amazing).....

Why was it fertilized? Just makes you have to mow it more often.

KB

/ Penny wise, pound foolish #15  
Farmwithjunk said:
"Going rate" around these parts for mowing acreage is hourly based on anything under 10 acres. $1.25 to $1.50 per hp of tractor per hour as a rule of thumb. Over 10 acres and you'll run in to "per acre" charges of $20 to $28 for the guys who stay busy. Over 25 acres and it drops to $18 to $20 per acre. Most of those jobs are done with equipment capable of 5 to 7 acres per hour typically. Most mowing contractors here are adding a "trip charge" for jobs under $250. I simply bill time from home or previous job to completion of job. From what I can tell, this is one of the cheapest parts of the country to have your field mowed.
Hi Junk - I find this pricing info very interesting... especially the concept of "tractor horsepower per hour" as a general pricing tool. Can you give me some idea of typical equipment used in each case... under 10 acres, over 10 acres and over 25 acres... both tractor and mowing equipment? And do you change your equipment for overgrown vs. typical mowing height... or first time at a new location (think: rocks, debris, rebar survey markers, etc.) vs. repeat customer and known property?

In my built-up suburban area, there are very few big open fields left. My potential jobs are way smaller than yours area-wise... but (in some cases) terribly nasty. Some of these areas have never been mowed... some are strewn with rocks and cut stone and debris of all sizes and shapes. How... if at all... would you approach such a job? :confused:

Dougster

/ Penny wise, pound foolish #16  
KrumpsBrother said:
KB
Glad I wasn't the only one who had that question!!! :D

Dougster

/ Penny wise, pound foolish
KrumpsBrother said:

KB

duh. :D

Seriously, looks tons better when fertilized, and way better for the grass long term.

/ Penny wise, pound foolish #18  
LoneCowboy said:
Seriously, looks tons better when fertilized, and way better for the grass long term.
And makes the Lone Cowboy *TONS* more money!!! :D

Sorry Brian... I just couldn't resist! ;) Forgive me! :)

Dougster

/ Penny wise, pound foolish #19  
Farmwithjunk said:
Owner just called AGAIN, offering $500 if we cut it today.
My son is on his way over to help me get loaded up. I'm headed over to mow the lot. And NOT for $500. Sucker that I am, he gets it for $400.....THIS TIME.

Im really confused - He realized he was getting a sweet deal for all those years, went to the open market and again found out he had it good with you.
He then requires a emergency cut on the same day - offers you more money
than the standard, and you accept less?

I notice you mentioned later that you are going to bank the favor on top of all the other favors (charging $125) for how many years or cuts? Do you think you would ever "even up the favors" with this guy? in order to either break even or be profitable? If the market is dictating more, and you are way below market to begin with - how much of a diservice are you doing to your business and family? The nice guy thing is you going over there that day because of his emergency is not yours! - that is above being nice. Giving away the store, is just that: giving away the store

Duc

/ Penny wise, pound foolish #20  
Farmwithjunk said:
"Going rate" around these parts for mowing acreage is hourly based on anything under 10 acres. $1.25 to $1.50 per hp of tractor per hour as a rule of thumb. Over 10 acres and you'll run in to "per acre" charges of $20 to $28 for the guys who stay busy. Over 25 acres and it drops to $18 to $20 per acre. Most of those jobs are done with equipment capable of 5 to 7 acres per hour typically. Most mowing contractors here are adding a "trip charge" for jobs under $250. I simply bill time from home or previous job to completion of job.

From what I can tell, this is one of the cheapest parts of the country to have your field mowed.

Yeah that wouldnt fly around here - this horsepower pro-rated thing is silly to say the least. It should matter not if you use a dixie chopper or some type of batwing and tractor setup. Around here its about $100-$125 per cut for 1.5 to 2 acre lots. And its finished under 1 1/2 hours