Backhoe BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #1  

hz293

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510HSD
A friend of mine has a BX 23 and has a question about moving the tractor forward while using the backhoe without turning the seat around. He now gets off the rear facing seat, turns it around, moves the tractor a few feet, turns the seat around again towards the backhoe and starts digging again. What a PIA

I've run a backhoe before where you could move the tractor a few feet without turning the seat around. Is he missing something that he should be doing differently? Is there a modification that can be done to move the tractor while facing the backhoe? Or is this just the way it is?

Harris

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #2  
Re: BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around

Well, don't tell the OSHA Police, but I just raise the stabilizers, then twist around & raise the FEL. Then I take a length of wood that I keep bungee corded to the ROPS & nudge the tractor forward by pushing the HST pedel. I assume you were talking about just inching the tractor forward & not driving for any distance.

Works for me.

Jack

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #3  
Re: BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around

I usually leave the brake off for backhoe work...lift bucket and stabilizers, and nudge the tractor along with the backhoe. I can also adjust side to side this way be slightly picking up the rear tires. Be careful, this last part can make things a bit tippy.

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #4  

I simply raise the stabilizers and bucket and reach back with my arm and push the pedal down on my BX22. It is easy to do.

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #5  

Can't even imagine climbing off, spinning the seat, climbing on, driving forward 5 feet, climbing off, spinning the seat, climbing back on etc. As opposed to - raise stabilizers and bucket, lean back to push treadle, re-set stabilizers and bucket, resume digging... Dave

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #6  

If you're not as nimble as Dave and if you don't have the skills to push the tractor with the BH, you don't need to turn the seat around to move it forward.
As long as you go slowly, you can move forward with out being seated. If the engine stalls or starts to stumble, ease off on the pedal.

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #7  

BX23
The pin for stabilizing lateral movement of the boom is long enough to reach the HST pedal.
Lift front bucket, stabilizers and press HST pedal.
You can also steer a little.

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #8  

David_G said:
BX23
The pin for stabilizing lateral movement of the boom is long enough to reach the HST pedal.
Lift front bucket, stabilizers and press HST pedal.
You can also steer a little.

That's a great little tid-bit of information. I never thought about using that pin to reach the hst pedal. Thanks for the info.

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #9  

hz293 said:
A friend of mine has a BX 23 and has a question about moving the tractor forward while using the backhoe without turning the seat around. He now gets off the rear facing seat, turns it around, moves the tractor a few feet, turns the seat around again towards the backhoe and starts digging again. What a PIA

PIA? Pshaw. I have to climb down off the backhoe, then climb back on the tractor (usually after walking around it since I always jump off of the backhoe on the FEL control side for some reason), then move it, then climb off and back onto the backhoe. THAT's a pain.

I usually just push down with my backhoe bucket, hoist the entire rear end up, stabilizers and all, and push the whole mess back or sideways or wherever I need to go.

JayC

/ BX 23.. Moving tractor forward to continue using backhoe without turning seat around #10  

From the hoe seat on my JD4300 I can reach the range lever but not the foot pedals.(If my seat switch was hooked up hitting a foot pedal would kill the engine anyway) In most cases I leave the tractor in low range 2wd then just lift the back a bit with the hoe and shove it around. If I can't move it by lifting one back wheel just enough to break traction then I reach back and shift to neutral or a higher range and try again. Just be ready to drop the hoe bucket if it starts to roll forward or back. When lifting the "landing gear" never lift it more than you need to for ground clearance while moving.
When I am working at an angle I tend to use the FEL bucket as an anchor as well but I can reach the joystick from the hoe seat.
As you use the hoe you will learn that the angle of the dipper stick and main boom(?) will make a huge difference in your ability to push the tractor.