Grading Using box blade to move alot of dirt

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt #1  

bradal

I am taking delivery on my JD 2305 this week. I am looking at getting a 48" boxblade to do some earth work. Here is what I have:

A low area about 50' by 50' surrounded on both sides by about the same area to pull dirt from. In total about a 50' by 150' patch that needs to be levelled. The total difference might be 6-12" of dirt that needs to be pulled into the low spot. Is this too big of a task for my little JD, or will this be ok, just taking some time to get it done. Also is this hard on the machine to do this kind of hard pulling work? The ground is basically hard packed black dirt with the odd small rock in it. There is about 2-3 feet of this hard pack clay like topsoil.

Let me know your thoughts

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt #2  
Just take your time... box blades are good for doing short distance dirt dragging and moving.

Soundguy

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt #3  
Youn should have no problem doing this. Just use the rippers to loosen the section you are pulling from first. Then have at it. I don't believe this is hard on the machine. That is what they are designed for. have fun.:D

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt #4  
bradal:

Welcome to TBN :D!. Take it slow and have fun learning how to use your box blade :). Jay

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt
Thanks guys, I will likely have some pictures in the JD forum this weekend on my progress :D . Then I need to rent a power rake to rake the 5 acres :p

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt #6  
Shouldn't be a problem, will take some time though. I am doing a similar project, regrading a hillside next to my pond with boxblade (30' X 210') so that it is easier to mow and has grass instead of weeds. Trust me you will get the handle of things and will be an expert with the boxblade by the end of it.

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt
Would I be better off just using the FEL that comes with it??? and smooth later with some chain harrows?

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt #8  
I think that the combo is the ticket. I am also in the process of regrading a 60' by 100' area behind my house. I used the FEL to move about 60 yards of fill, however once I rough spread the dirt, the boxblade was the ticket to finishing the grade. Not to mention, the box blade makes great ballast when you need some.

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt #9  
bradal said:
Would I be better off just using the FEL that comes with it??? and smooth later with some chain harrows?

I think you'll be able to move dirt quicker with the box blade. If you were starting with a pile of dirt that had been dumped, then the FEL is probably the right tool. Two years ago my neighbor had two loads of topsoil dumped on his garder plot. I moved dirt with the FEL until the piles sere quite a bit lower. Then started using the box blade and dragging it all areound. Worked great.

Have fun.

/ Using box blade to move alot of dirt #10  
bradal said:

Agree with prior poster that box blade would be better. Wanted to add that a chain harrow will not level this kind of ground to a smooth finish - it would break up small dry clods and smooth out an area that is already reasonably smooth, like after boxblading, but it would take hundreds of passes to smooth out an area that was all heavily rutted and full of big clods and piles.