Let's do the math

/ Let's do the math #1  

LoneCowboy

Veteran Member
Since there isn't a business forum (HINT), I guess we'll have to put this here.
To decide what you can charge and stay in business you need to know what your costs are. If your costs are more than what the going price is, you can't and won't stay in business (and neither will anyone else over time)
There will always be people who lowball just to get business, but they'll be out of business over time, because they aren't covering their costs.

some places have longer seasons than others, this means you can split your costs over a longer time period. For example, here in colorado the season is approximately April to October, sometimes a little longer, but that's about it. and maybe for mowing, you might get 3 cuts in a really wet year. (last year was very dry, some places we did once, some places not at all). In Florida, I would imagine the season goes almost all year (and thus your prices can be lower because you can split your fixed costs over a longer period of time each year).

Insurance. You have business liability insurance (which isn't too excessive for just mowing, but for excavating and spraying chemicals can get ridiculously expensive). You have to insure your vehicle as a business vehicle (or get a business rider), which is not nearly as cheap as regular personal insurance (and obviously varies by area). Also, while personal trailers are covered by the vehicle, that's not true for business trailers, you have to get another policy (in colorado it's about $100 a trailer) for just liability. You also need to think of actual physical damage to your trailer and equipment. This is the typical Inland Marine policy that covers if it's stolen or damaged or whatever. This isn't cheap (but not outrageous either), but if you can't afford to replace that piece of equipment, you might think of getting some of this type, otherwise you are out of business. Snowplowing liability insurance is ridiculously expensive. (mine is $1500 a year for one truck, in addition to the regular business truck liability insurance). In some states you have to carry workman's comp with no employees, in some states you don't.

Fuel, fuel is of course a reasonable expense and shoudl be accounted for. Perhaps you have a travel charge for going long distance, whatever. But it does add it. it runs total about 15% of my revenue is fuel. Remember you have fuel to go out and bid jobs (that you won't always get) and go and get parts, materials, etc.

Equipment Maintenance: of course you need equipment and of course it needs to be maintained. Tractors need oil changes, parts break, mower blades dull out, tires get flats, tires wear out. You have to account for this. You might not need that new tire this year, but you will, and you need to be charging for it. I like to use the 10% of the cost of the equipment per year. seems to be a reasonable number, maybe a little high, but older tractors cost less, but usually have higher maintenance. Of course vehicles also need oil changes, tires, etc. if you can't maintain it, you can't stay in business long. You can of course do lots of this work yourself, but parts still cost money and some things you won't be able to do yourself and it's still your time that you aren't getting paid for.

Taxes: how could I forget taxes. Registration of vehicles, make sure you put them in the business name. Social Insecurity, errr I mean the self employed tax. Sales tax on equipment you buy, business taxes for the privledge of operating your business, income taxes and of course, the accountant's fees. Only the income tax is optional (you actually have to have income :p ). But don't screw up and not put enough away to pay your quarterlies. Small business is a function of cash flow, not profitability. The IRS is not a debtor you want.

Carrying costs: Business bank account, (always more expensive than personal checking), some type of tax software/ledger to keep track of your expenses, etc. You still have to do this, you don't get to bill for the time. Accounts receivable. You bill people, they pay 2 or 3 weeks later (or worse), meanwhile you still have expenses to pay every day so you have to carry a decent amount of "dead" cash to cover for those slow times. You also have to cover for your off season, the mortgage still comes due every month, no matter if you have business or not.

Depreciation: this is what everyone misses. sure, you already have a tractor, a truck, a trailer and a mower, and it's already paid for so you can go out and make money. BUT, someday you'll need to replace that stuff and if you haven't accounted for that cost you aren't making any money. Most larger things depreciate on a 5 or 7 year schedule and in your head you should do that too. this tractor might have cost 20,000 grand if I bought it today, therefore I should put 4,000 a year away, because in 5 years it will be "worn out" and I'll have to replace it with yet another 20,000 dollar tractor. Now, of course if you can make it run for 10 years, you've made extra money in the meantime, but you have to cover the cost of your capital.
I can tell you that just one of my rigs is $50,000+. Tractor, truck, trailer, mower, that's a ton of money. Will they last more than 5 years? I hope so but that's my cost of capital I need to cover. Posted by Toiyabe and an excellent point: You should also factor in interest on your capital. Even if you paid cash, that interest is the cost for not investing your money elsewhere.

Advertising: gotta advertise if you want to get business. None of it is free. Web pages, classified ads, display ads, business cards, etc. Maybe after you've been in business a while it's all word of mouth, but up front, you gotta get your name out.

I hope that helps and I'll do an example in the next post.

Last edited:
   / Let's do the math
A guy in colorado chooses to set up a small field mowing business, he already has a truck and trailer and he's going to be a new or lightly used tractor and mower. In colorado you don't need workman's comp unless you have an employee.

His truck is currently valued at about $7000 and the trailer is worth $3000. he buys a 35 horse tractor with a 6 foot mower for about 20,000.

total of $30,000 invested, plus of course tools, diesel cans, invoices, business registration, etc.

Business liability insurance is about $500
Business truck insurance is about $1000 a year.
he's worried about losing the tractor so he gets an Inland marine policy which is about $200 a year.

There are 250 working days in a year, the season is about 6 months long here, but you really only mow from about May to September (if you are lucky), but let's say you work 6 days, that's about 125 working days possible.

You also have advertising costs (which I totally forgot about above and I'll add in a minute), let's say you run a couple classified ads, say $400 a month (4 papers, classifieds are spendy) for those 5 months which is $2000 a year

So, depreciation is 30,000/5 which is $6000 a year
Insurance is $1700 a year
maint is 10% of the 30,000, $3000 a year

so, right there you have $13,700 plus fuel, plus all the minor costs
divided by 125 days

that's $109 per working day or $13.62 an hour you need to make JUST to cover your main costs. You still have variable costs such as fuel and so forth. You still haven't made any money for you. Of course if you aren't busy those full 125 days, it gets worse.

/ Let's do the math #3  
its hard to make money just mowing. the landscape guys making a lot of money do it by spraying.

/ Let's do the math #4  
Since I am currently unemployed with two tractors in the yard, I am reading this with more than a little bit of interest.
Question:
You figure out your complete overhead, depreciation, insurance, etc. How do you divide that up between the one job you have this week and the unknown number of non existing jobs you may or may not have next week? Do you just figure out your going to work xxx hours per week and hope that you find enough jobs to fill that time?
David from jax

/ Let's do the math #5  
You should also factor in interest on your capital. Even if you paid cash, that interest is the cost for not investing your money elsewhere.

Next you get to figure out your loaded labor rate, including non-billable work such as accounting and marketing.

Sandman2234:

In your cost per hour rates you have to estimate the number of hours of work you will have in a year. If you over-estimate you loose money, if you under-estimate you make money (except for the jobs you lost because you charged too much).

For some government contracts we go back and adjust our rates after the fact based on actual costs. That works both ways, though - you can end up having to pay some money back if your cost structure was leaner than anticipated.

/ Let's do the math
sandman2234 said:
Since I am currently unemployed with two tractors in the yard, I am reading this with more than a little bit of interest.
Question:
You figure out your complete overhead, depreciation, insurance, etc. How do you divide that up between the one job you have this week and the unknown number of non existing jobs you may or may not have next week? Do you just figure out your going to work xxx hours per week and hope that you find enough jobs to fill that time?
David from jax

I think you have to make an assumption of how many hours a week you can work. Maybe you start at 20 for 3 months and then to 30 and then up from there. (figuring you get busier over time). Or, you just figure that you should be working 40 hours a week and these are your costs. It may take you a while to get there, but at that level and that pricing you should make money. If the going rate around you is less than your cost level though, there's a serious disconnect.

/ Let's do the math #7  
Brian, thanks for posting this and other related info here on the board. I appreciate the time you take to type out all this info. This is invaluable info for many on this board.

I wonder about the part timers who do something like this mostly for the write offs and intangible benefits of having tractors, trucks, trailers etc... Not necesarily for a "real job", they just might do a few lots or yards involving friends and family. It would seem that a yard service business would be a good one because most folks have to buy lawn equipment anyway...

/ Let's do the math #8  
There are people that do lawn mowing cheaper than even I will do it. Case in point is across the street right now, a guy is mowing my Mother in Laws yard while i sit here unemployed. He does it cheaper than I can afford to do it, considering the wear and tear on my paid for equipment. He uses a Dixie Chopper to mow, then weedeats and trims the hedges on 2 acres of yard for less than the $50 she was paying my childs education account. (No cash to me, but deposited to an account to put her grandchild thru college, which helps me in the long run). I don't see it, but some people manage to drive like new 4x4 p/u trucks while doing it. Let's see what happens when the chopper wears out and needs replacing. So far he has been there for about two hours and twenty minutes.
David from jax

/ Let's do the math #9  
sandman2234 said:
There are people that do lawn mowing cheaper than even I will do it. Case in point is across the street right now, a guy is mowing my Mother in Laws yard while i sit here unemployed. He does it cheaper than I can afford to do it, considering the wear and tear on my paid for equipment. He uses a Dixie Chopper to mow, then weedeats and trims the hedges on 2 acres of yard for less than the $50 she was paying my childs education account. (No cash to me, but deposited to an account to put her grandchild thru college, which helps me in the long run). I don't see it, but some people manage to drive like new 4x4 p/u trucks while doing it. Let's see what happens when the chopper wears out and needs replacing. So far he has been there for about two hours and twenty minutes.
David from jax

Sounds like a witch to me - :eek: she would rather pay a stranger then her direct family? Are you already excluded from her will? :D

/ Let's do the math #10  
LoneCowboy said:
so, right there you have $13,700 plus fuel, plus all the minor costs
divided by 125 days

that's $109 per working day or $13.62 an hour you need to make JUST to cover your main costs. You still have variable costs such as fuel and so forth. You still haven't made any money for you. Of course if you aren't busy those full 125 days, it gets worse.

so if you made another $13.62 an hr it would be 100% bankable cash (give or take) 27.25 an hr....

put another way.... you need to make $650 per calandar week for the 6 months to cover costs....

but, your your own boss, and only work 6 months out of the year... course you only make 13K a year which is kinda hard to "live off of"

but i think we are missing an inportant detail... the "im on vacation for 6 months" part.... you happen to live in CO were the snow plow season is MUCH MUCH longer than it is in FL.... you already pay for vehical insurance for the ENTIRE year, you already carry the buisness libility for the ENTIRE year.... pushing snow around is essentally 100% profit... (ok costs for fuel and maintance per hr it runs, but per hr it runs you should be covering those costs)