Equipment to do lawn restorations???

/ Equipment to do lawn restorations??? #1  

Patriot

I’ve been doing lawn repairs for over six years now, these repairs range from tire track damage caused by utility crews accessing homeowners properties to repair outages, to complete lawn restorations in which the old lawn needs to be completely removed and then hydro seeded, and everything else in between.

As far as the tire track damage goes, the best way I’ve found to repair it was to simply back into the tracks with my dump truck and shovel topsoil into the depressions as I work my way out to the street, then tamp or roll, rake, level and seed. But I can't always get in with the truck!

Ok, now I’m looking for a way to utilize a small compact tractor (or compact track loader) to make my job easier, especially when it comes to the really big jobs, including lawn restorations.

So my question to those of you that may do this type of work is; are you doing it the hard way like I am?, or have you found that the use of a tractor or skid steer gets the work done quicker with equally good or better results?

I’ve rented both compact tractors and track loaders (ASV RC-30) for the bigger jobs.
I experimented with york rakes, rototillers, and harley rakes to do lawn restorations.
The harley rake on the ASV worked well but to do a finish pass it needs to be done in reverse which is a pain, and setting it at a consistent depth to do the initial pass was a pain as well. I never tried a harley rake on a compact tractor, seems like it would work out better, but I need to keep the size of the equipment small and most tractors out there with enough pto power to turn a harley rake are just too big!

I’ve also seen other contractors in my area use a tiller to renovate an existing lawn, but it looked like crap when they where done!

So what do you use to do this type of work?

/ Equipment to do lawn restorations??? #2  
the guy that installed my septic system used one of these to come back and smooth things out (course me tilling the area first helped) ;)

SU184_Pulverizer2.jpg

gill pulverizer

/ Equipment to do lawn restorations??? #4  
Have you considered a vertical mower? If the lawn is relatively smooth, as it is, I've found that vertically mowing it, raking off all the old stuff, then overseeding works well -- but can only be done effectively in a relatively small window of time in the spring and fall. It's too stressful on the lawn to do it in the heat of summer -- unless they're going to really keep it watered well...

This is the least "damaging" way I've found to renovate one...

Not sure if they make them 3-pt sized, but I have a 38" one for my garden tractors that works real well. For the CUTS/SCUTS you may be limited to only Harley-rakes or similar things...
revitalizer.jpg

/ Equipment to do lawn restorations??? #6  
My T6 Harley rake does a good job on what you want to do . The pulverizer is a good investment also with a little more work you can get a yard ready to seed.

/ Equipment to do lawn restorations???
Fullpull,
Are you saying that you would use the pulverizer after you've already went over the old lawn with the T6?
Doesn't the T6 leave it "ready to seed".

I can see maybe going over the yard with a rototiller and then follow up with the pulverizer. Do you think that would work out ok?

Anyone know what the Gill Pulverizer sells for?

/ Equipment to do lawn restorations??? #8  
My experience with Skid Steers.... kinda tough on lawns/sod. Great machines otherwise. Great in close quarters.

/ Equipment to do lawn restorations??? #9  
Patriot said:
Fullpull,
Are you saying that you would use the pulverizer after you've already went over the old lawn with the T6?
Doesn't the T6 leave it "ready to seed".

I can see maybe going over the yard with a rototiller and then follow up with the pulverizer. Do you think that would work out ok?

Anyone know what the Gill Pulverizer sells for?

I believe FullPull was saying the pulverizer/tiller combo was an option to the Harley, not in addition.

Just saw that JD's Frontier line now offers a Harley style power rake. Given history, my guess is that it is the Woods with green paint.

/ Equipment to do lawn restorations??? #10  
A Gill pulverizer used could be picked up for the 5 to 700 range maybe alot less my guess. We used a pulverizer to reseed yards .It had only one roller on it and we adjusted the center link to lean the unit foward. The tractor reverse set it down on the lawn it will rip the front teeth through the turf and teeth marks for rows of seed. It was also used in the last pass or two for grading a yard then scratch the seed in lightly. The Harley rake is just more automatic and does a good job. It deals with rock better and breaks up clods .It imo doesnt scratch the seed in as good as the pulverizer. If you dont want to spend big bucks you might opt for the pulverizer. But keep in mind the laybor savings of a Harley.

We never used a rototiller to fix yards it was alway a blade or box then the pulverizer .The Harley rake was just a investment to use as a laybor saver. With my front loader and the Harley you can fix a yard and not have to change equipment around .The Harley will also work wet/damp soil with great results .I would rather it be a little damp to knock the dust out.You can take your front loader and scoop wet dirt out of a ditch it will mix it with dry dirt on the spot then replace it your done .What they say about the Harley rake on ther video is all true since owning one i can say that.

Last edited: