Should I leave them Loaded?

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #1  

shane

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
Now ain't this a wang-dang-doodle? When one buys a tractor from my dealer he loads the tire for "free" if you wish. I specifically requested that my tires not be fluid filled as the primary purpose of my tractor would be lawn mowing. My JD 3120 has just now reach 60 something hours. I decided to check the air pressure this evening and my guage got "peed" on. It seems that the dealer overlooked my request (by accident I'm confident) and filled my rears. I thought the tractor handled really well for not having the rears loaded and now I know why :) . I haven't be able to tell that it is causing any problems with my lawn, 4 acres. So, should I leave them loaded or will it start to be a problem over time mowing my lawn? My tires are R4's.

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #2  
me, I'd leave them loaded..... until you disicover some sort of problem from the load. There are lots of threads where folks worry aboout how to add weight.... you are already there!

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #3  
All depends on what your land is like.

Have you run over the lawn in all the conditions you would normally be mowing? If so, then it looks like you might be okay, if not, then you have some choices to make. It's very convenient to be able to use your FEL without adding any extra weight to the rear. My tires are loaded (1200# total of CaCl), that's a lot of wheel weights I don't have to mess with, but also am obviously stuck with that extra weight too. I leave some significant dents with my R4s in the spring, but the lawn bounces right back for me fortunately. There's some other areas of my property that I avoid with the BH on when it's the wet season (unless I want it to look like I've been tilling) :D I have no regrets having my tires filled, but again it depends on what your land is like throughout the year (or mowing season in your case) and what your total plans are with your tractor.

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #4  
Personally, I dont like the loaded tires. I have a BX and when I mow I want the BX as light as possible. When I use the FEL, I put the BH on and I have no issues. In the winter with the FEL and RB on, I still never needed the extra weight or chains.

It all depends on your lawn, but overall, I would think your lawn would be happier without the loaded tires.

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #5  
I had a similar experience. I wanted mine loaded but didn't inquire about it until after delivery. The dealer told me they were not loaded. So I buy all the stuff I need and go to take the valve off. Since the tires weren't loaded, I didn't bother rotating the valve to the top. I did not get 'peed' on, I got geysered! It was like a fire hose. I was wet and mad!

In any case, if yours are filled and you haven't noticed any damage to the lawn, I wouldn't worry about it. And if you don't want them loaded and the service was free, just unload them....as you can see above, that part is easy! But, find out from the dealer what is in them so you can take whatever environmental precautions that need to be taken.

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #6  
Mornin Shane,
Im under the same opinion as the other guys. I would leave them loaded since your not damaging the lawn now ! I would try and find out what they are loaded with, I would personally prefer Rimguard myself !

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #7  
Hey loaded tires free.99!?! Keep em loaded!!

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #8  
If it ain't broke...don't fix it

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #9  
I assume you have a loader. Many dealers load the rears of all tractors they sell with front loaders. You can tell folks to always have something on the 3pt but after the tractor leaves the lot there is no way to be sure they will. Loading the rears is cheaper than paying for doctors and lawyers which are often needed when an improperly ballasted tractor tips.

/ Should I leave them Loaded? #10  
I wish I'd have gotten the rears on my 3520 loaded. Next time I drop it off at the dealer I'm going to request that to be done. If it's not tearing anything up too badly I'd leave them alone, as it seems to be a bit expensive to fill them, depending on what you fill with.