Pulling vines out of trees

/ Pulling vines out of trees #1  

Will

Gold Member
Tractor
B2410HSD
I'd like to use the front end loader on my tractor to pull a pile of old vines out of some trees, but I'm stuck on two things. First, maybe this is a really dumb idea and I'll end up pulling a lot of old limbs on me and my tractor. The other thing is I'm not sure how to hook the vines onto my loader anyway. Let me know if you have any suggestions.Will

/ Pulling vines out of trees #2  
Will, I've done that (and generally not too successfully either)./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I've tried ropes, cables, and light chains, and the best way I found is a long cable I have with a slip hook on one end; wrap it around a big bunch of vines and attach the other end to the drawbar on the tractor instead of using the front end loader. That way I'm far enough away that whatever I pull down won't fall on me./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Pulling vines out of trees #3  
bird pretty much says it all. use something long enough that if a branch is weaker than combined vines u don't hurt yourself or the tractor. they can be a pup to get off tho.

/ Pulling vines out of trees #4  
I don't know if your vines in Georgia are decidious, but up north it's always best to pull them down when the leaves have dropped off. They're much harder with green leaves on them. You can also cut the vine and wait a week to let the leaves wilt and dry out.

/ Pulling vines out of trees #5  
Will, I bought a tooth bar for my bucket this winter. I have had some good success by running the bucket into a group of vines, curling the bucket slowly down and backing slowly away. I try not to do it on tall trees with dead limbs, and I wear a hard had. This works especially good with multiflora that has grown up into the trees. When I get a bunch on the ground, I tip the bucket all the way down and float it as I back away from the tree. The tooth bar "rakes" the stuff to where I can push it into a pile to rot down or otherwise dispose of.

On the real big vines, I use a log chain (that's what I have) and the draw bar, just like Bird does with his cable. The only thing I notice is the vine seems more apt to break, rather than pull loose, during the winter and after having cut them previously.

/ Pulling vines out of trees #6  
We bought a place that had about 80 acres of woods with vines all over them... The only thing that really worked was just clipping (small vines) or sawing (large vines) the vines off at the lowest point, and letting them die in the tree. After a few years, they fall off on their own. This seemed to be easier than trying to remove them from the trees, and I was concerned that forcing them down might just result in further damage to the trees.

Perhaps you need to remove the vines, but we just wanted to keep them from shading out (and killing) the trees.

/ Pulling vines out of trees #7  
Depending how thick the vines are I try couple at first until I felt comfortable,also cut as many free as I could..hope there not grape vines/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
I use a 1"strape w/a slip loop and while backing away I lower the fel..be careful.

/ Pulling vines out of trees #8  
Will , I have had good luck with nylon straps like the ones used for motorcycle ties. I would probably wrap the tiedown around the vine once or twice then hook both ends to the loader and back away, the nylon will grab it really well unless it is wet. Nylon straps are great they are light and easy to handle, I will keep four or five of them hooked to the loader stands that cross right above my dash for easy reach./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Pulling vines out of trees #9  
Will,
I usually just use rope and tie it so it will act like a slip knot around the vines, and tie the other end to the drawbar. It works pretty well on smaller stuff like honeysuckle and greenbriar. You have to be careful if you're trying to pull out grape vines. Cut them and let them die or you run the risk of pulling the tree down, depending on what size it is (the vine and the tree). Don't ask me how I know. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Later
Mark

/ Pulling vines out of trees #10  
Funny thing, I just spent the weekend waging war on a nasty patch of tree strangling vines. I don't know what these are but they actually pull down 6-8" trees. I have an extension power pole pruner with both chainsaw and hedgecutter attachments. I use the hedgecutter to cut the vines free of the trees. With that done I can use the tooth bar on the loader to rip the roots of the vines out without worrying about pulling the trees down on top of me. Some of these vines have roots systems 20' long. I hope I never meet the vine I need to use the chainsaw attachment on.

Timd