New Guy, First Tractor

/ New Guy, First Tractor #11  
I thought draft control was getting the right head on a beer?

mark

/ New Guy, First Tractor #12  
mjarrels said:
I thought draft control was getting the right head on a beer?

mark

Afternoon Mark,
Well yep it is ;) the right amount of tilt to the mug while pouring ! :)

/ New Guy, First Tractor #13  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon Mark,
Well yep it is ;) the right amount of tilt to the mug while pouring ! :)

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY------------------no draft beer please.

/ New Guy, First Tractor
Thanks for the info guys, i understand draft control now, sounds simple enough when you know what its for. As for safety ill check out the thread on it. I have 3 young boys so im pretty well geared in a "safety mode" anyways.
Was out tinkering with it last night, engaged pto, hydraulics, getting familiar with it. It has the SOS transmission, (one of the reasons why i bought it) so its easier to operate. One thing i did notice is that the pto spins all the time.
With tractor in gear and clutch in its still spinning, same with clutch out. Is it normal to spin un-engaged, maybe drag on it or? Im not going to grab it and find out lol. It all seems tight, no noises. I was asked can you still run pto when shifted into reverse, or do you have to dis-engage then re-engage when in reverse, would the mowers spin backwards. I told them i have no clue, but i know the right guys to ask lol. Brush hog rough cut is next on the list, not sure what size to go with, maybe a 6' or 7' tractor has 42-46 horse im told, 5' might be to small?

/ New Guy, First Tractor #15  
Brush hogs, new tractor owner and trees with low limbs spell an accident or death. I agree with RoyJackson on safety. I grew up on an Iowa farm and bushhogged 30 acre timber area, road ditches ,fence lines etc. That timber area was plenty dangerous going around the trees. One has a tendency to look behind to see how small saplings and high brush is going thru the cutter, and the next instant, you turn around and a low branch is coming up to the front of the tractor air cleaner and muffler. One must really concentrate when close to low branches. My Dad always warned my brother and I that about ever year or two, you will hear about someone getting knocked over backwards by a tree limb while running a bushhog. (funeral notice; closed casket). I don't know if you have any trees to worry about, but this is good to hear stories like this so you can educate yourself. Machines don't care about people.

/ New Guy, First Tractor #16  
I was just about to ask you what model of 801 you have.. but sounds like you have the 871 ( probably ) or the 881 ( not as common ). It's a 10speed.. and has good ground speed control. What you are calling the clutch is more correctly an inching pedal.. thoug it 'basically' performs the same task.

As you have been told.. the littl lever ahead if the 3pt control is the draft/position selector. For most non ground engaging jobs you can use position... for tilling.. I'd use position. The *6* models and the *7* and *8* models were the only 4 cyl fords that were any good at roto tilling.. mainly because of ground speed vs pto.. the 6/7/8 all were live pto models.. your /7/8 machine being a live independent machine.

As you have found out, the SOS ( select-o-speed ) tranny setup does not have a pto brake. The pto will freewheel even when not engaged.

The SOS machines are picky about maintenance and oil.. The early SOS models gave ford a black eye as there were many failures. Field service fixes and tranny swapouts mostly corrected the problems.. however ford SOS's still live with the stigma attached to them.. and in many places.. SOS trannied fords command less money than a gear trannied counterpart. The big issue is parts/repair... Few mechanics will work on an SOS.. and if you do find one that will.. a typical rebuild of a major' problem can run up to 2500$.. which is why some SOS tractors that shell out a tranny get a 5 speed or 8 speed dropped in them as the 'repair', depending on the model in question. Still.. that said.. if you have a good working unit that runs in all 10 ranges and 2 reverse speeds.. and you maintain it with clean filters and good clean oil.. it should continue going strong for a long time.

Lets see.. some more info.. Hmm.

Do try to pick up an owners manual for the 801 series.. as well as the SOS addition leaflet.. it's chock full of info you will want to know about the SOS.

Also.. if you ever need to move her, and she won't run.. the rear wheels will be locked. You will need to throw the traction disconnect to disconnect the rear end drive pinion from the tranny output shaft.. your sos manual will tell you exactly where it is on your model.. though ist's generally accessed from the side of the tractor.. rear of the tranny, near the union to the diffy section... not difficult or complicated.. just may not stand out.

If you have the 881.. you will have a 2 speed pto.. the 871 has a single speed pto.

Enjoy that ford and post some pics..

Soundguy

R-G said:
Thanks for the info guys, i understand draft control now, sounds simple enough when you know what its for. As for safety ill check out the thread on it. I have 3 young boys so im pretty well geared in a "safety mode" anyways.
Was out tinkering with it last night, engaged pto, hydraulics, getting familiar with it. It has the SOS transmission, (one of the reasons why i bought it) so its easier to operate. One thing i did notice is that the pto spins all the time.
With tractor in gear and clutch in its still spinning, same with clutch out. Is it normal to spin un-engaged, maybe drag on it or? Im not going to grab it and find out lol. It all seems tight, no noises. I was asked can you still run pto when shifted into reverse, or do you have to dis-engage then re-engage when in reverse, would the mowers spin backwards. I told them i have no clue, but i know the right guys to ask lol. Brush hog rough cut is next on the list, not sure what size to go with, maybe a 6' or 7' tractor has 42-46 horse im told, 5' might be to small?

/ New Guy, First Tractor
I thought 801 was the model number? Ive looked everwhere for numbers to get a owners manual, but have found nothing. It looks to be a 2 speed pto, after looking at the repair manual i have, there is a threaded hole at the end of the shaft (head of bolt missing, must be threads holding it in place?) looks to be the 540 end, whats the advantage to switching shafts? Traction disconnect figured out. All fluids/filters will be changed before it goes to work, the more i look into it the more complicated it gets. Heres a couple of pics, previous owner added the bucket after it was painted. (bucket came with tractor when he bought it, was not installed because original hyd cylinders for bucket "disapeared")

Attachments

• DSCF0303.JPG
    DSCF0303.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF0302.JPG
    DSCF0302.JPG
    463 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF0301.JPG
    DSCF0301.JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF0298.JPG
    DSCF0298.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF0300.JPG
    DSCF0300.JPG
    463.3 KB · Views: 167
   / New Guy, First Tractor
My mistake, its not a 2 speed PTO

/ New Guy, First Tractor #19  
801 is the series... if your is a single pto speed SOS.. then it's model number is 871

8 means 172ci engine
7 means single speed pto/SOS tranny
1 means it is a 58-62 01 series.. though has to be 59+ for SOS

I believe an FO-20 service manual covers that machine.. but you need an SOS insert manual to further maintain it. To get that SOS manual you need to know if it is the original trans.. or a field swap out. The swapped trans may be repainted..might be blue.. and painted over red.. the original should show same oem red paint / layers as the original unit.. The newer and older trans will have different manual inserts.

Soundguy

R-G said:
I thought 801 was the model number? Ive looked everwhere for numbers to get a owners manual, but have found nothing. It looks to be a 2 speed pto, after looking at the repair manual i have, there is a threaded hole at the end of the shaft (head of bolt missing, must be threads holding it in place?) looks to be the 540 end, whats the advantage to switching shafts? Traction disconnect figured out. All fluids/filters will be changed before it goes to work, the more i look into it the more complicated it gets. Heres a couple of pics, previous owner added the bucket after it was painted. (bucket came with tractor when he bought it, was not installed because original hyd cylinders for bucket "disapeared")

/ New Guy, First Tractor
Soundguy, it looks to be orignal tranny, paint layers match up. Where could i find this "insert"? I have the parts and repair manuals that came with it, found the model #(871) stamping but cannot read the serial # yet. You all have been very helpfull !!