Do you know why people work on their own tractors?

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #1  

LoneCowboy

Veteran Member
Because all the dealership service departments *(&^&^$#%&)_!

I'm so mad I could spit. :mad:
There is no point in getting a warranty because the stupid service departments can't honor them. (oh sure, in 2 to 3 weeks, what good is that?)

Let's just say that New Holland's warranty is worth precisely ZIP.
and I own 2 new New Hollands and am about to go down to the dealer and say "either fix it, right now, or give me my money back and you keep the thing and fix it in your own spare time, because I don't have any spare time to waste on this. Might as well buy some unsupported 3rd world thing.

Ridiculous.:mad:

And the local JD dealer is worse.

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #2  
Yes, I work on my own whenever possible.

Have a new Deere 2520, where the folding ROPS holes would not line up. I would have filed them myself, but they were way out.
Trip to the dealer.

He loosend all the ROPS base bolts to try to get better alignment, plus had to remove the rear wheels to gain access to a couple.
He started to put everything back together, with an air impact wrench....I said "aren't you going to use a torque wrench?" His reply: "oh, we never use a torque wrench on anything".
Go to the front, and get my salesman, and the torque values for the ROPS and wheels - mechanic was not too happy.

I just can't believe they weren't going to re-torque everything....
I also will do all myself that I can.

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #3  
It is *really* hard to find a shop where they do good work. I'm lucky in that I have a great mechanic for one of our cars, but for nearly everything else I either work on it myself (for the reasons given, mostly) or grit my teeth and hope for the best. There was a recall on my wife's car and the dealer will be doing that work, but I'm more worried about the quality of the repair I'll get than the recall. Sigh :p...

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #4  
My JD4300 developed a "sometimes" leak in the front axle. I refer to it as the "king-pin" seal. The one that moves when you turn the wheels left or right. Bought a new seal but never got around to installing it. It only leaks when you are on uneven ground with a load in the FEL.
Finally we got the ROPS recall so I took it to the dealer.Not my selling dealer but one that was handier to get to that I now use.(Still an hours drive to get there) Had them do oils etc and asked them to install new seal. First thing they did was power wash the whole thing. Fine. Except they decided that since the axle wasn't leaking anymore, at least in their shop, that the seal didn't need to be replaced. Didn't know this until the next week when I drove down to pick it up so it still hasn't been done and it still leaks when it has a load in the FEL and you are on rough ground......Found out that the week they had the tractor the service manager got fed up with something and walked out, never to return...

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #5  
For most of my "tractorin' years" I've advocated SIMPLE, BASIC, EASY-TO-WORK-ON tractors over high tech models. With a box of basic tools, a stack of manuals, and a little mechanical aptitude, anyone could tear into my MF150 and make most repairs. Through the first 10 years I owned this tractor, there were no issues with anything that would have qualified as "warranty repairs". And anything since was easy enough to repair under the nearest shadetree. Simple doesn't seem to break as often as high tech, in my world anyway.

Then there's the John Deere 6430 my son and I just bought. It takes a Rhodes scholar to read the dang warranty. Beyond filter changes and such basics, most repairs are "dealer only" types, requiring special tools, factory training, and manufacturer tech support.

At that point, we find out IF that dealership has decent repair shop. I never found out what sort of shop my Massey dealer had. Never needed them in 36+ years.

And yet we call it PROGRESS.

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #6  
Farmwithjunk said:
For most of my "tractorin' years" I've advocated SIMPLE, BASIC, EASY-TO-WORK-ON tractors over high tech models.

Amen, Brother!!

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #7  
cowboy,

Talk to the owner of the dealership NOW. Also write a polite letter to the customer service contact listed in your owners manual.

It's total BS - but also happens all the time. Don't just vent on us, do something about it.

jb

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #8  
LoneCowboy said:
Because all the dealership service departments *(&^&^$#%&)_!

I'm so mad I could spit. :mad:
There is no point in getting a warranty because the stupid service departments can't honor them. (oh sure, in 2 to 3 weeks, what good is that?)

Let's just say that New Holland's warranty is worth precisely ZIP.
and I own 2 new New Hollands and am about to go down to the dealer and say "either fix it, right now, or give me my money back and you keep the thing and fix it in your own spare time, because I don't have any spare time to waste on this. Might as well buy some unsupported 3rd world thing.

Ridiculous.:mad:

And the local JD dealer is worse.

Do they have to wait for new holland to aprove the service, or is it that they are busy and it will take that long to get to it? I understand your frustration if it is waiting for New Hollands aproval, but if the shop is just busy, It isn't as much theirs, or New Hollands fault. I know that you have a business to run, and I really feel bad for you, but if they are just busy, than that can't be helped. They can't move you ahead of previously scheduled work that other people have been waiting for. I know around here, the different equipment dealers try to cater to the high volume customers, but I have mixed emotions about that. They do benefit greatly from people like yourself, but that doesn't mean a customer that doesn't purchase as much, should be put on the back burner either. It is definately a hard situation either way. If it is a case of them being too busy, than maybe if you suggest that they call the customers ahead of you, and explain your situation to them, that you might be down, unable to service your customers, than maybe someone will be nice enough to let the dealer do yours first. I know if it was me, I would appreciate the call and would almost always let the contractor be serviced first, providing it was a legitimate down time issue.
Daryle.

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #9  
I'm just putting this out there because I don't know how it is in other states...

In my "Spare Time" I am a Sate of California Certified "Lemon Law" arbitrator. California has a state Lemon Law that applies to Motor Vehicles owned by consumers... not businesses.

Anyway, one of the presumptions is if your vehicle is "Out of Service" due to warranty repairs for a total of 30 days in the first calender year, it is by definition a Lemon and you are entitled to request a refund of the purchase price less use or receive or replacement

Another presumption is if the Manufacturer, through an authorized dealer or service center has had 3 opportunities to repair a manufacturer's defect, you are also entitled to request a refund or replacement.

Lemon Law cases only deal with manufacturer's defects that substantially effect the Value, Use or Safety of the vehicle within the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty.

Without going into too much more... there is also a Federal Law called The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that governs consumer product warranties which basically states that a product has to be suitable for the use intended. In other words, a vehicle has to operate and operate safely.

Without making a Federal Case... sounds like some of the poor service issues regarding warranty repairs are approaching the threshold of these statutes.

And we did not even get into the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Remember, these cases DO NOT apply to business uses... But I could argue that a homeowner that bought a $12,000 mower to mow his homestead would be covered.

PS... The time to mention the Lemon Law or the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is when you call Kubota directly and they tell you you to call the Dealer... this is when I would say that this is only a courtesy call to inform the manufacturer that you plan on exercising your consumer rights and cite the Federal Law... that always gets a manufacturer's attention and gets the call transferred to someone higher up.

Last edited:
   / Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #10  
I think that the quality of services depend on the dealership. My NH dealer is a good one and they do provide good services.