Storage question

/ Storage question #1  

kbota

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 850-sold to buy Kbota Grand L3010
Okay. Own a Kubota cut. Nice machine. Will only be using it rarely for another year- at least. After that I'll retire and will use it often, as in daily. It's currently stored in the garage with wife's car. she doesn't mind...really she doesn't.
How often should I crank her up (the tractor) and let the engine warm up? Should I drive it around the block? or, since it's stored inside, is it okay to just let it sit?

Your opinion please, but tell me why you feel that way.

Thanks

k

/ Storage question #2  
One of the worse things you can do to a diesel is let them sit unused, especially if stored outside. Since yours isn't outside, that is a good start.
I would suggest taking it for a drive at least once every 3 weeks and warm it up, then drive it for maybe 15 minutes after that to help clear some of the moisture in the system. Would be better if you had a plow or middlebuster you could drop into the ground so the diesel would actually be working instead of just running.
A battery maintainer is a good idea so you don't come out to a dead battery which can get you into a bad mood about having to take it for a drive.
David from jax

/ Storage question #3  
I would top it off with diesel with some kind of fuel stabilizer added. Keeping the tank topped off reduces the possibility of getting water in the tank through condensation. I would get the tractor out of the garage once a month and fire it up and let it run long enough to reach operating temperature. I would vary the rpm's, starting at low and operating the last few minutes at near full throttle. This is mainly to keep the battery charged and to keep moisture burned out of the muffler/exhaust.

At least twice during a one year period I would take the tractor around the block, operating it in each gear for a while, and engaging the 4wd some if applicable. That is to keep The battery charged, keep moisture out of the exhaust, keep from flat-spotting tires, rotate all bearings and make sure clutches don't stick, etc. If there is a fel or bh, run them through cycles for the same reasons.

All that said, I have left a tractor in a field with weeds grown up to hide it, then gone back after more than a year with a fresh battery, fired her up and went to work. That ain't the best way, though.

/ Storage question #4  
My machine also came with a block for the clutch with instructions to disengage the clutch for any long term storage. Keeps the plates for seizing together.

If you think mice could be a problem, a few mothballs under the hood is a good idea. They love to chew belts and wiring.

Brad

/ Storage question #5  
Regarding the comments we frequently see about topping off a tank to reduce water from condensation....I can see this with metal tanks, but does this really apply to fiberglass fuel tanks? It would seem that their construction is insulated enough to avoid the problem. Either way, I've always tried to maintain all fuel tanks full.

/ Storage question #6  
Welcome to TBN. I think I could find some uses for it other than just starting it once a month. How far is the post office/mailbox from your house, what about the trash pickup? How big is your unit, any pics? What kind of attachments do you have, can you mow the yard with it, plow it up, something? Get a trailer and make a float for the 4th of July parade/celebration. Good luck.

/ Storage question #7  
tuolumne said:
Regarding the comments we frequently see about topping off a tank to reduce water from condensation....I can see this with metal tanks, but does this really apply to fiberglass fuel tanks? It would seem that their construction is insulated enough to avoid the problem. Either way, I've always tried to maintain all fuel tanks full.

Like you mentioned, I've always been taught to keep any machine that will sit for a while topped off to avoid condensation - where there's air, there's a possibility for moisture. Although the plastic/fiberglass will provide a greater degree of insulation, the contents will generally follow the temperature changes of the ambient air which will leave a chance for condensation to form. Keeping it stored indoors will make a big difference. I've learned the hard way (many times :( ) that failure to use stabilizer and a keep full tank can turn a 10 minute job into an hour.