Stumps

/ Stumps #1  

billfires

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland 1920
Pulled my first stump with the NH 1920 w/758C backhoe today. The tractor hoe is not as strong as the LX485 skid steer, but dug a 15" diameter oak out in 30 minutes. I found I needed to start farther out to break the roots and ended up disturbing maybe 7-8' in diameter. If I was doing stumps all the time I think a 12" wide bucket would be better than the 16" that I have. Anytime I can work in a t-shirt in Mass. in Feb. is a very good day.

Billfires

/ Stumps #2  
An 8" would seem even better choice for stumping, if you thought you might go by a smaller bucket for that purpose.

/ Stumps
rdln, I believe the smallest bucket that NH has for the 758C is a 12", but I think you are right the smaller the better.

Billfires

/ Stumps #4  
Those hardwood tree stumps can be a bugger..twice as long twice as mean freeing up the tap root.
You will notice a big differents when stumping softwood.
Yep it has been a real mild winter in N.E. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Stumps #5  
Hey Bill, Glad to hear your using the Backhoe. I've got the 757 hoe on my 1920 and so far have dug over 1500 of trench. I've got the 12" bucket and they do list an 8" in the manual.

Did you consider digging around and then pulling the balance out with a chain? This is what I'm considering. I'm cutting down all the Sugar Pines (messy, fire hazard) but I'm leaving all the oaks so I suspect the Pines will be easier to get out. The Pine's aren't even worth burning in the fireplace due to all the pitch so I'll then get to drag them to a clearing to field burn.

Have fun with all that sunshine in the NE.

Todd in Placerville