Confused by the size

/ Confused by the size #1  

M31

Hi, I am the first time be an active user here. This is my the first post. Sametime, I am a brand new farmer too. Just bought a piece of land 36 acres orange county NY. 16 acres are drained muck land, others are trees.
Planning do vegetable and hardy nursery plants growing on 16 acres muck land. Also need spend time with trees, may be need enlarge an ATV trial (800 feet) to allow a truck pass. Clean some space among trees to build couple sheds or a small barn. But field work is major task to me in next five years.
Friends in tractorpoint.com give a lots of good suggestions. But I am confused with size and weight of tractors. within 20k budget, new compact tractor or big used one.The land like this muck land is very soft. I know to handle 16 acres is little too much for a less than 40HP tractors, but the over 100HP used tractor (close 8 tons) will be very easy to sink. Plus I am dummy on tractor repairing now. I prefer a new compact tractor with cab, with a FEL and 5' tiller, but afraid this dicision becomes mission impossible.:(
Any kinds of suggestions are appriciated.

/ Confused by the size #2  
welcome aboard!!!

my best advice would be to spend some time shopping. Visit the dealers in your area. Explain to them your intentions. They are the most qaulified to help you decide which size machine is right for you. Don't be afraid of used machines that are only a few years old. ALternatively, there may still be some attractive finacing options on new equipment. I encourage you to pay visits to your local dealers. Have fun and above all DO NOT RUSH your decision!!! :)

/ Confused by the size #3  
Lets see.. wet land... and not a wrench turner.

Hmm... If yuo really don't like greasey hands and don't like wrenching.. I'd say stay away from economy brands and oldies... IE stick to something with a warranty from the big 3.

I'd advise 4wd.. and .. heck.. dual rears is not outta the question.. or at least flotation tires...

36 ac is a decent piece.. 16 to maintain..hmm. I'd see that in the mid 30s' to mid 40's give or take. IE.. I wouldn't rule out a good 30hp tractor ata good price with good options or package just cause it was a few hp shy of 'mid 30's "

A 35ish with hi float r3/r4 and or / dual rear.. and 4wd.. may get you.

However.. what do you plan on doing long term? any logging? etc?

Soundguy

/ Confused by the size
Soundguy, thanks for reply. It is not that "wet" like FL:D . and I want to be a wrench turner but it can not get in one night:( .
So you think Best 30s, Better 35s or Good 40s will fit I need. Do you know till this kind muck land with 5' tiller up to 16 acres will take how long? If no grass, no stone, 1 Acre 1 hour is OK?
I have no idea know how to deal with those trees, they are some oak, maple, wild hickory, 4-12 inches diameter. Mulch, firelog, they are to small for lumber.
Any suggestion?

Soundguy said:
Lets see.. wet land... and not a wrench turner.

Hmm... If yuo really don't like greasey hands and don't like wrenching.. I'd say stay away from economy brands and oldies... IE stick to something with a warranty from the big 3.

I'd advise 4wd.. and .. heck.. dual rears is not outta the question.. or at least flotation tires...

36 ac is a decent piece.. 16 to maintain..hmm. I'd see that in the mid 30s' to mid 40's give or take. IE.. I wouldn't rule out a good 30hp tractor ata good price with good options or package just cause it was a few hp shy of 'mid 30's "

A 35ish with hi float r3/r4 and or / dual rear.. and 4wd.. may get you.

However.. what do you plan on doing long term? any logging? etc?

Soundguy

/ Confused by the size #5  
I used to live next to a lot of muck land, some with 25 to 30 acre fields and they did a lot of work with small tractors, IH cubs, Ford N series, Small AC's and Masseys. Most were in the 25 to 40 hp range.

/ Confused by the size #6  
Seeing as you intend to do nursery type farming a large tractor may be perfect for the initial cultivation but much too big for using when the ground is planted.

I'd suggest seeing what is available locally, see what others around you are using for the same type of work and looking some more. 30 to 40 HP should serve you well. This size should also allow for tree removal using the loader with a tooth bar.

Look for a tractor that handles easily in small spaces.

/ Confused by the size
That is what I am thinking early. Muck land is not as hard to till as other type of soil. 4x4 light weight, heigher ground clearance. if <40HP can to it, will be very nice. Thanks a lot.
ToadHill said:
I used to live next to a lot of muck land, some with 25 to 30 acre fields and they did a lot of work with small tractors, IH cubs, Ford N series, Small AC's and Masseys. Most were in the 25 to 40 hp range.

/ Confused by the size
Thanks, Egon. Planning Nursery area grow to 6 acres, and keep 10 acres for vege in next 5 years. Still lots of field work need to do.
I found JD 790 ground clearance mark 16 inches, most <40HP usually only have 13 inches. Could this 3" be a issue on muck land?

Egon said:
Seeing as you intend to do nursery type farming a large tractor may be perfect for the initial cultivation but much too big for using when the ground is planted.

I'd suggest seeing what is available locally, see what others around you are using for the same type of work and looking some more. 30 to 40 HP should serve you well. This size should also allow for tree removal using the loader with a tooth bar.

Look for a tractor that handles easily in small spaces.

/ Confused by the size #9  
Tilling 16 ac's is going to take forever. Plowing would be much faster 3-6 mph x width.

Keep asking questions and test driving tractors - one will eventually talk to you & be the one. Looks like you already listed out primary/secondary tasks, make an allowance for future tasks.

Clearing is time consuming, hiring out is faster but DIY has a sense of accomplishment. Get a 3rd function grapple for the tractor loader to speed material handling.

HP is very subjective thing - I have a 55 HP MFWD cab tractor on my place and run it year round. Not needed more power but at times could use more traction. The tractor can float over the low mud spots but the cultivator it's pulling grabs the weed roots & stops me cold.

/ Confused by the size #10  
I agree about large acerage tilling taking a while. I think a bog disc in a mucky area might do just as well...

Soundguy