Backhoe Backhoe -- rock picking techniques?

/ Backhoe -- rock picking techniques? #11  
I've pinched them against the boom too.

It is hard to get it just right and keep from sliding/rolling out of position, but it can be done. Now I have a thumb and it makes it a lot easier. Although I don't think ones this big would fit anymore.

/ Backhoe -- rock picking techniques?
3RRL said:
It is hard to get it just right and keep from sliding/rolling out of position, but it can be done. Now I have a thumb and it makes it a lot easier. Although I don't think ones this big would fit anymore.

Nice rock. I routinely do the same too, provided I can get the thing up into the bucket. Your picture is a good example of the kind problem rock that I'm talking about, albiet pretty danged big! I've many times lifted the front of my tractor while pulling the dipper and boom in tight, and once got stuck in a wheelie, sitting on my subframe mount even with the 'hoe pulled all the way in.

I've pulled big rocks out of holes and from the top of steep slopes easily, but flat ground is a different story. So, I'll bite, how'd you get that one tipped up onto the bucket w/o rolling forward and off?

JayC

/ Backhoe -- rock picking techniques? #13  
3RRL said:

Jeepers, Rob!

Good thing that hoe is on a stout tractor or you would have trouble driving around with that rock on the back!

How big was it anyways?

jb

/ Backhoe -- rock picking techniques? #14  
Why do I always forget to load my FEL with ballast until AFTER I have finally pinched those big suckers with my hoe......

/ Backhoe -- rock picking techniques? #15  
Jay4200 said:
Considering how much I do this, I really should invest in a thumb, and probably will eventually.

JayC

JayC. If you're interested in taking a close look at my thumb, I'm not far from you, about 10 Minutes from Sam's Club south on 3A. PM me I'll give you directions. My machine will be here for at least another week before it goes north.

Attachments

• 036 (Small).jpg
    036 (Small).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 265
   / Backhoe -- rock picking techniques? #16  
Another trick is to dangle a chain from hooks on either side of your fel bucket. The chain makes a loop that touches the ground. Approach the rock with the fel dumped so you can lower the chain loop behind the rock. Curl and lower your fel at the sametime and the chain will pull the rock into the bucket. Works great, takes a little practice adjusting the chain and working the controls. I wonder if a chain could be attached to a backhoe bucket to do the same thing?

/ Backhoe -- rock picking techniques? #17  
I probably moved 500 stumps with a chain hanging from two hooks on the FEL. That's an intersesting thought about doing it on a hoe bucket. The pivot points are different and hooks might get in the way of other bucket work but it's worth a little more thought.

/ Backhoe -- rock picking techniques? #18  
The single hook on my backhoe bucket was welded on the back side of the bucket up near the linkage, and was never in the way. I never tried looping a chain from it though, and wish I had.

Attachments

• Elm  Stump.jpg
    Elm Stump.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 265
   / Backhoe -- rock picking techniques? #19  
6sunset6 said:
I probably moved 500 stumps with a chain hanging from two hooks on the FEL. That's an intersesting thought about doing it on a hoe bucket. The pivot points are different and hooks might get in the way of other bucket work but it's worth a little more thought.
I've found my BH hooks as handy as my FEL hooks. The double hooks let me adjust loop length, sometimes that's a big help.

Attachments

• 032 (Small).jpg
    032 (Small).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 216
   / Backhoe -- rock picking techniques? #20  
I had an M4900 with a Woods 9000 hoe. I hear you on chasing rocks and stumps around. I found skidding tongs and a chain hoked to the FEL worked good for stumps. Make sure you have good place to hook on. I bent the middle of the top edge on my bucket up a little. Should have beefed it up or put two hooks better spaced apart in retrospect. As far as rocks go, I got tired of chasing them around (especially with the limited reach) and bought a cheap thumb on ebay. Wouldn't recommend the one I bought. I bent it during the virgin run on a piece of cord wood. Woods makes one for that model, it's like $850 I think and requires some welding. Maybe there are better ones on ebay, but I learned my lesson. I'll trust my dealer next time.